Check Valve on Hose Line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by GoDillos, Jun 28, 2011.

1. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

I'm about to install a new hose bib and want to use the 1/4 turn variety. However, I can't find any 1/4 turn valves with integrated backflow prevention. Can I just use add a normal check valve to the copper branch? Or, do I have to use an anti-siphon attachment specifically designed for hose bibs?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A check valve does not qualify as backflow prevention on a bibb;
  3. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

Hmmm ... are there any in line options I can use? I think those vacuum breakers that screw on to the bibbs look ridiculous.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Not sure why you want a 1/4 turn on a hose bib. Usually we like to be able to throttle the water down with a conventional valve. !/4 turn valves are great for those applications where you want either full on or full off. Of course I know all the neighbor will come around a laugh at the ridiculous vacuum breaker on a regular hose bib.
  5. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

I've successfully modulated flow with a 1/4 turn valve - just takes a little more finesse. With my pathetic water pressure, that's not going to be an issue anyway. And with the 2 seconds I save each time I turn on or off the hose with only a quarter turn, I'll have plenty of time to worry about how silly the vacuum breaker looks.

In all seriousness, should I take the lack of responses to mean there are no in line options?
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

This is a quarter turn with vacuum breaker.

[​IMG]
  7. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

Sweet Terry. I don't know how I missed that. Since I'm in California (as you can tell by the nice flag you gave me,) the frost free is completely unnecessary, but it may be the best option I'm going to get.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They usually make "non" frostfree versions also. I have NEVER had anyone tell me that the hose faucet vacuum breaker "looks silly". In fact most people do not even know it is not part of the faucet, (but then some versions ARE a part of the faucet but look the same way). When it fails, a "screw on" vacuum breaker is easier to replace, than trying to find repair parts for an integral one.
  9. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

If you don't like the look of the vacuum breaker, take a look at the arrow-breaker bibs from Arrowhead Brass. These aren't 1/4 turn, but might be something that might work for you.

Frost-free:
    [​IMG]

Standard:
    [​IMG]
  10. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

Alright guys - Thanks for the options. I think I need to quit over-complicating it and just use the screw on adapter.

I'd think there would be a market for non-frost proof quarter turn hose bibb with integrated backflow preventer, but what do I know? Something like this with a vacuum breaker.

[h=1]Industrial Grade 1APV7 Quarter Turn Hose Bibb, Standard, 1/2 In M[/h]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Moen makes a push pull hose bib similar to a sink valve. You can get it in a hot/cold mixing valve and turn it to adjust the temp. Quicker even than a 1/4-turn!
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Something like this with a vacuum breaker.

I like that they call it "industrial grade" since it looks like something you would buy at a "Dollar Store".