Check valve location

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Arky217, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Arky217

Arky217 New Member

The submersible pump that I plan on using has a built in check valve.
    The pump will be 100' deep; static water level at 50'.

I was planning on adding an additional check valve at the input to the pressure tank,
    but I'm now wondering if I should put it instead right on the output of the pump.

What's the typical setup for check valves ?

Thanks,
    Arky
  2. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Standard practice here in Ct is to have a check valve at the tank.

Some states prohibit a check valve at the tank, check your state code.
  3. Arky217

Arky217 New Member

Well, I'm fairly remote back in the Arkansas hills, so a code doesn't apply in my case.

I posted this question, however, before I noticed the sticky thread 'submersible pumps and multiple check valves'.

From the advice in that thread, it would seem that if I put in another check valve in addition to the one built into the pump,
    that for my well (115 feet deep, 50 feet to static water level), I should put it right at the discharge of the pump.

But, since i'm using a good quality (hopefully) pump (Gould, mod.#7GS05422C), perhaps I should just forget about
    adding another check valve.
    I'm kind of leaning in that direction now, since I've read the information in the above mentioned sticky thread.

Anyone seem to think that not adding another check valve for my particular well and pump would be a mistake ?

Thanks,
    Arky
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Goulds should be putting good check valves on their pumps. Actually the check on the pump will stay closed better if it has all the pressure holding it down as compared to having another check anywhere else, which would take some or most of that pressure off the check at the bottom.

Water hammer and slamming from repetitively cycling the pump on and off is what causes most check valves to fail. Because of this, many people just add one or more extra check valves for safety. Using a Cycle Stop Valve will eliminate the water hammer and repetitive cycling, which will make everything last longer, including the check valve, bladder in the tank, pressure switch, control box, and most importantly the pump/motor.