Check Valve/Heat Trace/Quick Connects

Users who are viewing this thread

ton

Reaction score
I have a sandpoint well. In take pipe is plastic 1 1/4" pipe 25 ft into the cottage. I want to heat trace it with a in pipe trace. I cannot for my check valve is located 2 ft up on the galanized portion of my sand point. (at the well) Heat trace cannot go through swing valves.

Is it advisable to move the check valve and install it on the pump and than start my heat trace after the check valve and down my sand point below the frost line.

I also wanted to install quick connects at the pump and at the well for quicker shut downs in the fall. Anyone had luck with these.

I also found a check valve that can be accessed through the side (bolt). This would enable me to disengage it drain water out of it. Thank you for your help your board has been very helpful

Speedbump

Reaction score
I never liked unions (quick connects) or any other items in a suction line. It's just another possible air leak.

I agree, heat tape can't go through a check valve, but you mentioned "swing check". You really should have a spring loaded check valve not a swing check.

Having the check valve at the well will limit the problems with priming and repriming as oppossed to having it at the pump.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. Can you access a spring loaded check valve without having to take it apart. (to drain, clean etc.)

Speedbump

Reaction score
You don't drain check valves. If you mean to drain the system, you would have to figure a way to do that since the check valve is going to keep the pipes full of water. Check valves don't need cleaning.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
What I was going to do (correct me if I don't make sence) was install a check value with a side bolt access to it. When I shut down I take the bolt out push the flap down and the water drains back into the sand point. This saves me the work of having to take the check point and pipe connections out. I have copied one heck of long link below but you will see the check valve I am talking about.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

Speedbump

Reaction score
That is a swing check. It will bang each time the pump shuts off. This is not a good thing. The bolt your talking about is where the pin that holds the swing gate in place is. It can also be disassembled by removing the pin and the big nut on top. Great for sewage but not good for water systems.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
Ok therefore you recommend a spring check valve and the only way to shut down the system for winter is to disconnect my intake pipe at the well and take the check valve off. This ensures no water is left in the pipe for the winter. I thought there may be an easier way. Thanks again.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't recommend it, but a couple of tees with valves on them or just plugs that can be removed on either side of the valve would do the same thing.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
One last question. If I were to disconnect by intake line at the pump. Is there any adaptor that goes on an air compressor that I could use to blow out the line to the well. This way I am certain I got all of the water out of the line.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would use the compressor at the check valve and blow the water toward the open end at the pump. That should empty the line.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
The check valve is solid there I imagine your compressor would hook up to a snifter valve that connects to a plug in a tee?!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sure that would work. Or you can drill and tap the valve and insert a schrader valve.

You can buy check valves with tappings in them already if you look for one. I used to carry them, but the bladder tank kind of made them useless for the most part.

bob...

Attachments

• two_tap.jpg
    two_tap.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 495

ton

Reaction score
Are these spring check valves. Could they be disengaged by the tapped openings. Great stuff. Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yes, they are spring loaded.

They can't be disengaged, but they can be drained from both sides of the pottett with the two plugs.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks