Check Valve for handheld shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by IAmLulu, Nov 21, 2013.

1. IAmLulu

IAmLulu New Member

We're doing a DIY bathroom remodel. We will be installing a Sterling tub/shower and surround. We plan to have only one shower head, which will be a Grohe Handheld Shower. We are putting in a Hansgrohe Wall (water) Outlet, a Mount for the handheld shower, a hose, of course, but not a bar. The Diverter will be on the tub water Spout. Some Wall Outlets come with a Check Valve...I'm thinking I don't need a check valve, because we will have a Diverter...Am I correct, or do I need to get a wall outlet with a check valve?
    Thank you for any advice you have to offer...
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

Do you mean a vacuum breaker instead of check valve?

Some municipalities require that a fixture have an air gap or a proper anti-siphon vacuum breaker. If the hose hangs below the rim of the tub then it might be required.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. IAmLulu

IAmLulu New Member

Smooky, In the description of the Hansgrohe Wall Outlet with dual Check Valve, it says "Double check valve to protect against backflow".
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  4. Smooky

Smooky Member

My though is that since the back flow preventer is in the wall outlet, it is to prevent tub water from back siphoning into the potable water in case of a loss of water pressure and the sprayer is in a tub full of water. If someone turns on the sink downstairs, water could be siphoned into the system. Most codes do require either an air gap or a proper back-flow preventer. However there are many shower hoses installed that do not have an air gap or a proper vacuum breaker, especially in private homes.

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/articledetail-null-wall-outlet-with-check-valves-27458003.html

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/articledetail-null-wall-outlet-27454002.html

Hansgrohe also makes a vacuum breaker that can be installed where the hose is attached if it is needed and not built in to the unit .

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/articledetail-null-external-vacuum-breaker-06510000.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The length of the hose will determine whether you need a backflow, or air gap, on the shower outlet. If it can hang below the tub's
    overflow opening, then you would need one.