Check valve between pump and tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Raucina

Reaction score
a CSV will make your pump start and stop while only pumping 1 GPM instead of full pump capacity. Starting and stopping at 1 GPM is much easier on everything in the system, especially the check valve.

The stop part I understand, but where does the start part come from? Upon start up, the pressure has dropped to the low end of the switch setting, and I would hope the valve allows the full output of the pump on start up.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I still think there must have been some sound reasons behind the Goulds pages, even if they are possibly outdated. Mass of water might be part of it. I see a horizontal version of water mass problems, when air-filled golf course sprinkler lines create a situation where the end sprinkler blows off the pipe connection as soon as the last bit of air leaves the line, and the mass of water slams into it. (there is a Cla-Val product to address this problem)

The practice of thrust-blocking larger pipe systems also connects to the forces of a mass of moving water.

Of course, for the OP, the answer has been given - no extra check valves needed.

One check valve curiousity, that I noticed, when using a utility pump to check the capacity of an old hand-dug well, was that when the pumping depth approached 20 feet, the gasoline engine driving the pump was making noises like it was about to throw a rod. Had never heard the noise before, even when pumping from clogged-up well points, which must have created similar suction vacuums. Add a foot valve, and I now have a happy engine. Same lift, same flow. Now, "get a better engine" is the obvious conclusion I draw from the episode, but I still wonder, how would I quantify the contribution of the foot valve to this pumping situation.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"The stop part I understand, but where does the start part come from? Upon start up, the pressure has dropped to the low end of the switch setting, and I would hope the valve allows the full output of the pump on start up."

On 2" and larger CSV's, it takes flow to open them and pressure to close them. Therefore, even though the pressure is below the set point of the valve when the pump starts, the valve is still in the almost closed position until the flow pushes it open.

With the smaller, direct acting CSV's, you are correct that the valve is open when the pressure falls below the set point. However, the pressure wave from the starting of the pump is enough for the quick acting valve to close for a part of a second, which holds back the shock wave.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The biggest reason Goulds would mention any manufacturer's name other than their own is simple. They were affilliated with that company at one time or another or that company was affilliated with them. Goulds does not make a check valve but they do offer them in their dealer catalogs. Yes ITT does buy product from other companies they have not bought out yet and many years ago when Goulds was really owned by Goulds, they in fact bough accessories from other manufacturers to make their catalog complete.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks