Check out the picture of my shower fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

mOmar

Reaction score
What's causing my fixtures to have all this build up?
Is there such thing as too much salt?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 301

Reach4

Reaction score
Salt will wash off with water. Try taking some water and a scrub brush to your showerhead.

If that does not do it, try vinegar.

I don't know if silica can make such encrustations. Does your lab water test show high levels of something?

Last edited:

mOmar

Reaction score
I scrubbed with a wash cloth and some of it does come off. The areas that the build up is greater takes more effort and not all of it comes off.

The only test I've done is to check hardness level and that comes back fine.

Any specific test or test kits that you recommend?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
TDS testing is very simple but it will only tell you a little bit. I have to read the test results companies send me every day and the NTLlabs is far and away our preferred testing company to work with.

The well-check is ideal for most people.

Use a chisel and hammer to remove silica. :)

mOmar

Reaction score
TDS testing is very simple but it will only tell you a little bit. I have to read the test results companies send me every day and the NTLlabs is far and away our preferred testing company to work with.

The well-check is ideal for most people.

Use a chisel and hammer to remove silica. :)

LOL! What kind of chisel and hammer do you recommend?

Reach4

Reaction score
Spray down surfaces with distilled water after use or wipe dry after use. Maybe get a new showerhead now every year or two.

To take silica out of the water, you could use a whole house reverse osmosis system, but that is expensive and needs to be maintained with expensive membrane and other filter replacement.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....h-water-spots-on-chrome-fixtures.40393/page-2
Then continue to the next page https://terrylove.com/forums/index....h-water-spots-on-chrome-fixtures.40393/page-3 and see references to Rain-X.

Last edited:

mOmar

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips.

So I decided to scrape off a bit of the build up and taste it. Well it does taste like salt.

Will I have salt build up in the water lines thus leading to clogging or does the salt just build up on the bath fixtures.?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips.

So I decided to scrape off a bit of the build up and taste it. Well it does taste like salt.

Will I have salt build up in the water lines thus leading to clogging or does the salt just build up on the bath fixtures.?
Common salt (sodium chloride) will not build up in your pipes.

Salt is not the main thing in your stubborn deposits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks