Check my bathroom layout

Users who are viewing this thread

OneStaple

Reaction score
Hey,

This is the layout that I'm thinking of for my renovation on the master bathroom. I've tried to make sure that I'm following codes, but would appreciate feedback from all you experts to make sure I'm doing this right.

This is in Fairfax County, VA, which I understand is under Virginia's version of the IPC.

There are two lavatories connected by 1.5" PVC on the left, a WC with a 3" drain in the center, and a shower drain using 2" PVC on the right. They all connect to a 3" PVC main stack. My understanding is that under the IPC, a 2" drain line can go 8' before needing a vent, and the main stack is within that distance.

The vent for the 1.5" PVC on the lavatories would go into the attic and connect to an existing 1.5" PVC vent to the roof.

Also, I know I show the 2" PVC going through holes in the joists at are in the center 1/3 of the joist. I'll change that to make sure it's in one of the end 1/3's.

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• PVC layout.jpg
    PVC layout.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,601
  • PVC layout2.jpg
    PVC layout2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 953

OneStaple

Reaction score
hj, thanks for the reply.

Does my shower need a vent? From what I can tell, the Virginia plumbing code (IPC) allows 8' of distance from the fixture (shower) trap to the vent (Table 906.1). The main stack is about 7.5' away (with the last bit being a 3" drain), so I think I'm within code. Now, is it still a best practice to put a vent in there? The walls nearby would be a pain to add a vent to.

Table 709.1 says that a single lavatory is 1 DFU and requires a minimum of a 1-1/4" PVC trap/drain. Table 709.2 says that a 1-1/2" PVC drain is allowed to handle 2 DFUs. So I read that as being able to put both lavatories on a 1-1/2" drain. Is that wrong? Or again, is 2" recommended as a best practice?

I haven't yet found discussions in the code about heel inlet 1/4 bends. What would you recommend instead? A 3"x3"x2" wye in the horizontal section of 3" drain between the toilet and main stack?

Thanks,
Tyler

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower must be vented because the water closet is between it and the vent. The WC connection should be made with a wye or combo.

OneStaple

Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realize having the WC between the shower drain and the main stack was a problem regarding venting. If I connect that 2" shower drain line to the 3" drain from the WC using a wye closer to the stack (not the 1/4 bend heel inlet), does the same apply regarding the vent? A connection similar to the wye for the 1.5" line.

Thanks,
Tyler

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shower has to connect between the vent and the toilet connection. Your problem with the 1 1/2" sink line, besides being a "poor practice" is that you will NOT find the fitting you need for the two lav connections in less than a 2" pipe size. You will also need a cleanout fitting beneath that connection.

OneStaple

Reaction score
hj, with some quick searching on google, I found sources for 1-1/2" (all connections) double sanitary tees. So they seem to be available. But, given that you consider the 1-1/2" size a "poor practice," I'm fine with swapping in 2" for the double lavatories instead.

So then, if both the shower and lavatories use a 2" line, I could have them connect to the horizontal 3" line between the stack and WC using a double wye, correct? If I do so, I'm still not clear on if the shower needs a vent or not. If it does, I think I figured out how to get one into the walls by going up through a bench in the shower.

Thanks,
Tyler

OneStaple

Reaction score
Ok, I made some changes to reflect what we've been taking about. Please let me know if these look right.

-Double lavatory drain is 2". The individual branches for the lavatories are 1-1/2". The vent going into the attic for the lavatories is 1-1/4".
-The drain for the lavatories and for the shower connect to the horizontal 3" drain with a double wye, connecting between the stack and WC.
-I added a 1-1/4" vent to the shower drain line. It curves up into the wall cavity through the shower bench, then goes horizontal into the adjacent attic, where it meets up with a 2" vent from a nearby bathroom.

How does that look?

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• PicsArt_1415938091076.jpg
    PicsArt_1415938091076.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 856
  • PicsArt_1415938054014.jpg
    PicsArt_1415938054014.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • PicsArt_1415938012421.jpg
    PicsArt_1415938012421.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 873
  • PicsArt_1415937969059.jpg
    PicsArt_1415937969059.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,720

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I found sources for 1-1/2" (all connections) double sanitary tees.

If you notice I specified the "Fitting you should use", which is NOT a double sanitary tee/cross, nor a double combo, and that prohibition applies even if you use 2" pipe. You know, in the 60+ years I have been doing this, I have NEVER used 1 1/4" for a vent, and am not sure where I would even get the pipe or fittings for it since none of my wholesalers have ever sold them. You wasted a lot of time putting the dimensions for the pipes since the ONLY critical ones are the distance from the vent to the trap. Your drawings still do not show a cleanout below the connection for the two lavs.

Last edited:

OneStaple

Reaction score
hj, sorry if I offended you somehow, as that was not my intention. I'm just a DIYer with little experience who wants to get his bathroom done right, which is why I'm asking here. I'm trying to read my local code so I'm not totally uninformed, but want/need input from you experts to make sure I'm doing it right, so I appreciate all the input I can get.

You're right, I totally forgot to put the cleanout below the lavatories in the pictures. Slipped my mind.

If the connection between the two lavatories should not use a double sanitary tee, what connection type should I use? And should it have 2" coming out the bottom, 1.5" for each arm toward the lavatories, and ??? for the vent?

The vent sizes haven't been discussed in this thread. I picked 1-1/4" because my understanding from reading the code is that 1-1/4" is the minimum and it also has to be no less than half the diameter of the drain it's feeding, so that's what made sense to me. What size should I be using? 1-1/2?

Thanks,
Tyler

OneStaple

Reaction score
Thanks, hj.

So with the back to back fixture fitting, a clean-out below it, and making all vents 1-1/2", does it look like I'm otherwise good to go?

Thanks,
Tyler

Hammerlane

Reaction score
As far as your comment about the holes being in the center third of the joist that's not a problem it's notches that are not allowed in that area

Last edited:

OneStaple

Reaction score
Hammerlane and Terry, you're both right. I had been incorrectly thinking about notches when I made that comment about the middle third. Regardless, the holes in the joists shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Tyler

OneStaple

Reaction score
Another quick question. Is a regular cleanout or a double cleanout preferred for this?

Thanks,
Tyler

1CNX7_AS01.jpg

doublecleantee-23308-xl.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "double cleanout" in the bottom picture is for a horizontal, usually buried, drain line and in my opinion should NOT even be made, much less sold to unsuspecting users.

OneStaple

Reaction score
Ok, what about this alternative layout that someone else suggested? The shower uses a horizontal wet vent through the double lavatories. In reading the Virginia IPC, I didn't see anything saying this couldn't work. Is this allowed and is it a good idea?

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• PVC Layout7.jpg
    PVC Layout7.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 19,545
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks