Cheapest layout for thermostatic valve and two showers in different bathrooms

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by HansPL, Jan 5, 2011.

1. HansPL

HansPL New Member

Hello:

I want to have a thermostatic valve design for two showers in two different bathrooms. The pipe to the two showers splits in an accessible place, which means I could put a thermostatic valve for temperature regulation (same temperature for both showers, I guess) and one volume valve in each bathroom. Would this be possible and the cheapest solution? Any pitfalls?

I base the above on what I just read on this and another forum, so I am a real newbee. Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Hans L
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Probably not a good idea. Plus, at least some thermostatic valves require a shutoff before them, rather than after. Otherwise, it could be trying to adjust all the time, plus they may not like the constant pressure (depends on the design). If you want thermostatically controlled (and the ability to adjust), you really need two setups. It would be a rare family that could all agree on what their perfect temp is, too.
  3. HansPL

HansPL New Member

Yes, you are probably right. Thought I would save some money, because these things seem to be very (!) expensive.

Regards,

Hans L