Changing the Oil Filter- should be easy, but it's not...

Users who are viewing this thread

McG

Reaction score
The filter holder is a Westwood f 100 8 spin-on can, gravity fed type. There is a Gar-Ber brand filter element (screw on can) on it. To change it out I got the Westwood f 100 10 fuel filter element. That is the only one our Home Depot stocked and the floor man told me it was "the one" for residential systems. Anyway, I can't get the Gar-Ber element off the Westbrook holder. Turned it hard in both directions and it won't budge.

This post reminds me of when my Mom asks me to open a jar.

Last edited:

McG

Reaction score
I see in the Westwood catalog they sell an item they call the F 100-18, "Spin-on filter wrench. Fits all popular filters." It looks like your basic strap wrench. They illustrate it strapped around the very base of the can. I wonder if our service tech has one.

This is the most relevant article on the subject I could find: It addresses my issue with the difficulty in changing the spin-on filter. The article is referring to automobile oil filters: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/300.cfm

Update: Bought a 93mm, 15 flute "Cap Filter Wrench" (oil filter wrench) at the auto parts store. Cost under seven dollars. It fits the Gar-Ber filter better than the Westwood filter bit it fits both. The wrench is cranked by a standard 3/8" ratchet which is not included with the cap wrench. It removed the filter element easily.

One problem solved.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks