Changing textured ceiling finish to smooth finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

sc.homeowner

Reaction score
I'm a new member so this question may have already been addressed. In this area eveyone refers to it as "popcorn ceilings". I know it's very messy and requires a lot of preparation, but I' retired so my labor is free. Home was built in '85 so I don't have to worry about the asbestos issue. My concern is mostly about room ceilings that have been repainted (sprayed with latex) and is there a commercial solution to accelerate the removal! Appreciate your feedback if you have experience with this process.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's been painted, it can be really messy to clean off. If you go to a good lumber yard, you should be able to find 1/4" drywall...I'd slap some of that up rather than trying to clean all the old crud off and fix the divots you make in the process.

For areas that haven't been painted, A spray bottle filled with plain water works. Spray it on, let it sit for a moment, then scrape it off. Works pretty well...I did about 500 sq ft in a few hours.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The 1/4" drywall with really long screws and a whole lot of glue is the way to go.

Otherwise prepare to scrape like an animal. It will likely never look right.

Tom

CharlieM

Reaction score
You would have to scrape it off either way I'd guess. Glue won't do much good with the heavy popcorn.

Charlie

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ceiling

Run the scraper over the painted ceiling. It should take enough of the high spots off so the water can penetrate into the popcorn. It is not even enough for 1/4" sheetrock to make a level ceiling.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I've seen this done before several times. Granted the guys doing the work were professional drywallers but it comes out perfect. On one of the jobs I lived in the house for 2 years before selling it. So it didn't come apart.

They punch a bunch of holes in the ceiling to find the studs and mark the ceiling. They glue the board with thick beads, use long screws set the boards. After setting the board they glue gaps as necessary.

I think they did knock off some high stuff but I wouldn't say the knocked off much.

I'm about to have another one done this way but it's a spanish swirl and not the usual popcorn.

Tom

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
This stuff should help to loosen up the popcorn:

It's supposed to work on painted surfaces too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just remember that if this is old, it may contain asbestos. Here, if you de-popcorn it is required to submit a sample for asbestos test. If it is asbestos, you have to have the guys in the white suits come in and do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks