Changing shower faucet help

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 22-year-old Moen Chateau shower valve. My guess is that if I want to install a new faucet set, I'd have to open up the wall, cut out the old valve, and solder in a new one. Is there any way to avoid all of that?

Also, how do you change the tub spout? What's involved?

It would be a big help if I knew the exact model number of the Moen, but I don't see any numbers, and Moen has made a TON of shower sets with the Chateau name. To me, it looks similar to the 2353 model, but I doubt it has the Posi-temp control, as it is over 20 years old. Do they put model numbers on the back of the escrutcheon plate or somewhere else? The front of the escrutcheon says "Standyne" or "tandyne," but that means nothing to me.

Another option for me may be to change the escrutchen plate, handle, and cartridge. I'd also like to change put in a new spout, which I imagine might not require soldering. I'm not good at soldering and don't have the money to pay a pro (too many projects going on right now).

By the way, are you supposed to caulk around the spout and escutcheon plate? The previous owner did, but I'm not sure it's required.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• shower2.jpg
    shower2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 12,743
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Stanadyne was a brand that Moen valves were sold under. The parts, including the escutcheon plate, are standard Chateau parts. You can replace the plate and handles with identical. At one time, Moen was offereing some escutcheons and handles in the Monticello style and finish options which fit the Chateau valve. I don't know if these are still available.

The basic Chateau parts are commonly available in chrome, PB, and BN.

The tub spout probably unscrew. Check the bottom near the wall to see if there is a set screw.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I found a trim kit that includes the escutcheon plate and faucet handle at Lowes. The spout had the set screw in the bottom that I loosened with an alan wrench and was able to remove it. I'm also going to replace the trip lever and drain cover, so everything will be new.

How about caulk? Is that required or suggested around the escutcheon plate, spout, or trip lever/overflow? The excutcheon has a rubber gasket, so I imagine caulk isn't needed there. The spout I bought doesn't have that, though.

zortox

Reaction score
Older Moen Chateau

Hi - I''ve got the really old Chateau where you change from shower to tub with a pull valve right under the main control knob. Any idea where I can get this part and it's number? Many thanks! Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

It should be a push stem and any good supply store will have the Moen diverter "button" that you screw into the valve after removing the old one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks