Changing Phister shower control valve

Users who are viewing this thread

matthewk

Reaction score
Changing from an old Price Pfister trim to a new Price Pfister trim.
The new trim came with a different valve, because it's a clockwise/ccw control for cold and hot and on/off.
the old trim though is a cw/ccw for cold/hot, but a pull/push for on/off.
so, the valves or valve stems are different. please excuse any incorrect terminology I have. thanks :eek:

I don't have access to go behind the wall, and I don't want to do any soldering. I wish I can just take the valve off the new piece and replace the valve on the old piece with it. would this be possible? will you help me on this process?

attached are some picture(s) of the old (current setup)/new valves. thank you,
Matthew

IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Call the manufacturer - they should be able to tell you if things will fit. If not, then you'd need to replace the valve body. They make remodel plates to cover the larger hole you'd have to make to install a new one if you can't get to it from behind. This will require some cutting and soldering, though. Maybe time for a plumber if you aren't up to this yourself. Technically , not hard, but if you've never done it, by the time you buy the tools, a plumber might come out about the same. But, you'd have acquired a new skill and some new tools, so it may be wash, and cheaper next time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT just replace the operating mechanism. The two valve bodies are completely different and incompatible. You may be able to make the hole as large as possible and replace the valve body that way, BUT you will definitely have to do some, in fact a lot of, soldering, with the potential of starting a fire inside the wall. You could also destroy the shower walls, which would make it just about the most expensive replacement you could come up with, especially if you spent additional money buying tools and parts. Call a plumber.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not to be too harsh on you.....but you have asked if you can buy a new body for a chevy and put in on your ford. Shower valves and trims are matched sets....they are generally not interchangeable between different MODELS of the same brand, and NEVER between brands.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; NEVER between brands.

While that is generally true, given that many manufacturers DO produce their items for other brands, i.e. the old Crane single handles and Moen being interchangeable, it could happen, but not in this case. But this is a question about interchanging between models from the same manufacturer, and that is also not possible in this case.

matthewk

Reaction score
thanks; what's a good way to determine which cartridge i have installed right now? it's <= 10 yrs old, but i don't know how old :) i believe it (the installed one) is pfister. thanks for your comments,

Steve_

Reaction score
I'm working on mine too

It's a Price Pfister Avante. Parts available at most home improvement stores

Price Pfister

Pfister Faucets
Reaction score
Website
www.pfisterfaucets.com
Hello MatthewK,

That's an interesting issue for sure. We can help you address this issue, but our Consumer Service Team will need some additional information to proceed.

Please provide:

* The model number of the product. If you do not know this, please follow these directions:

* Any other specifics on the issue you're experiencing
* A method to contact you (ex. email, phone, etc.)
* Best time for contact (ex. mornings, evenings, etc.)

Please send this information to us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to helping you resolve this matter as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks