Changing salt tank - any possible negative ramifications

Users who are viewing this thread

theboneman21

Reaction score
I have a Culligan mark 89

My current salt tank is about 4.5 feet high. It is in a closet in my basement. Needless o say when it is maintenance time it is a colossal pain in the neck to empty and lug

I can get a smaller one,3 feet, for about $100 which seems reasonable to me. Will that have any negative impact ? The 3 footer will contain 3 bags of salt so 120 pounds. Each regen is set to 10 pounds so i think that is more than enough ?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The amount of salt storage vs. salt dissolved are totally different. Your salt tank needs to be large enough to hold 3-4 gallons of water above the air check in the bottom of the brine tank, the salt displaces approximately 50% of the space water will occupy. An 18" diameter round brine tank will dissolve approximately 1.6 pounds of salt per inch of water in the salt. A salt grid will allow a smaller brine tank to be used in many applications since it eliminates the displacement of water by the salt as high as the bridge goes.

The maximum water height is determined by how high the float can be set.

In general, even the smallest brine tank will work up to 10 pounds of regenerant. You should be just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks