changing old shower handle trim

Users who are viewing this thread

aobellis

Reaction score
I am updating a bathroom from the 70s. I have changed the showerhead to a hand-helf variety, but also want to change the trim on the handle. I bought something that looked like it would work, but it does not. The original trim was a 7" diameter Moen with a knob with "crystal" center. The screwholes are 1 1/8" apart. (The Danko that I bought has wider screwholes.)

I'm switching everything to oil rubbed bronze (anything close would be fine), so that complicates it a bit. I hope I do not need to change the valve itself.

I'm planning to buy a Tasagi Japanese style tub that is designed to fit into the kind of shower stall I have, so it would be even better if I could figure out a way to lower the handle so I could reach it while seated in from the tub, but I'll settle for keeping it where it is and just getting it to match.

Thanks for your help.

Alice

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is NO "generic" shower valve trim. ( But there are aftermarket, brand specific items available.). You MUST get trim made for your EXACT brand AND model.

Now, Moen is one of the most widely found brands. You must specify if yours is a pull-out type or just a turn-type. Moen themselves, and many aftermarket companies make trim for your valve, including in the bronze. Take your parts to a good plumbing supply and they will have what you need,

aobellis

Reaction score
shower valve trim

Thanks. I'll go to a plumbing supply store and see what I can find. I had hoped to be able to buy something online, but that does not seem to be possible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

A 70's valve is either Dial-Cet or MoenTrol, both used the same trim but I am not sure if the new MoenTrol which is available from Moen in the finish desired has the horizontal or diagonal holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks