Changing fron 4-inch faucet to eight

Users who are viewing this thread

peterreb

Reaction score
I am gutting an original bathroom in a 1942 Cape Cod. The existing faucet is a 4-inch spread in a vanity. I want to change to an 8-inch (widespread) with a pedestal sink. Are there issues I need to be concerned with beyond the obvious? In other words, is the piping arrangement in and at the wall going to need to be changed? Or will I be able to hook up the hot, cold and waste lines without any major surgery of the plumbing lines? Would I be simplifying things if I bought a pedestal sink with a 4-inch spread? (Hope not as I like the widespread better.) I am planning on paying a real plumber to do the work, I just want to get a sense of what I might be getting into before I get there (and before I invest in fixtures). This question is not easily answered from Google searches, I've found.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As far as connecting the water to a faucet, there is absolutely no difference between a 4" and an 8" faucet. The supply lines "flex" to match either one.

peterreb

Reaction score
As far as connecting the water to a faucet, there is absolutely no difference between a 4" and an 8" faucet. The supply lines "flex" to match either one.
@hj: Yes, that was my question. Thanks for helping me out.

Asktom

Reaction score
The drain is what you need to watch, height may be critical depending on the pedestal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The design of the pedestal and the placement of the drain and supply lines need to fall within some fairly narrow locations for the optimum look. They don't have to do that to work, though, but if you're going to go to the expense, you need to have the materials in hand along with the detailed instructions for the plumber to get things 'just right'. It can be a pain if there's a joist or something in just the 'wrong' place, but with enough money, no problem!

Asktom

Reaction score
If the water is on the same wall you can make it work, beyond that it is how good it looks. If you are skipping the hire a plumber part, either study the specs carefully or, better, slide the pedestal into place early in the project and see if it will work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks