Changing Filter Once evry 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by DarylF08, May 23, 2007.

1. DarylF08

DarylF08 Mec. Elect. Engineer

I moved into this house about 2 yrs ago. Was not lived in for about 7 yrs, before. I got all the inital problems solved, but about 6 months ago, I started getting alot of red stuff in my house filter. I would have to change it about every 4 to 6 weeks. If I didn't change it, I would lose pressure. Problem still going on. I have not had it tested yet.
    ?1 Any Ideas what it could be or solutions?
    ?2 How and Where can I get my water tested. I live about an hour south of St. Louis Mo
    Thanks
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I can't tell you where to get your water tested, but that inline filter would probably be better if it were removed. You probably won't notice a bit of difference in your tap water without it.

bob...
  3. DarylF08

Within 4 weeks it clogs the filter enough to restrict flow. This stuff is a dark red in color. I don't know what it is so I don't know if I want to drink it yet.
    Does the Test Kits at your Depot or Lowes work good enough?
  4. Rancher

Rancher Guest

No.

You didn't say it but I suspect you have a well? The red stuff could be iron eating bacteria...

Bob can help you out with a system that will take that out.

Rancher
  5. DarylF08

Yes, It is a well system
    Iron eating Bacteria ???
    Whats that take to get rid of
    or will it eventally go away?
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is it grainy like fine dirt or slimey? My guess is that if you were not getting this originally, then all of a sudden it showed up, it is probably bacteria, but I'm not a pro...I'm on municipal water, and my water has it. You can kill it in the water heater if you keep the temperature high enough, but you've got it in all of your pipes would be my guess. Do you get any deposits (actually growth) of it in the toilet or shower if you get a little lax in cleaning? It takes about a month or more to come back in my toilet.
  7. sammyhydro11

sammyhydro11 Previous member

Nobody can do anything for you unless you have a full water analysis. The sample should be taken before the filter and you should run the water for atleast 10 minutes before you fill the sample bottles. I would open the phone book and look under water testing for a certified lab. Most labs will come out to your home and take the sample for you,for a fee. Along with the standard analysis i would also include a test for Tannins. If you fill a glass with water before the filter and you see small strands settling to the bottom or suspended ,its iron bacteria or an organic iron. Anyway, the first step is a water analysis.

SAM
  8. DarylF08

OK, I'll try and find a place to get my water tested within this next week. If it is some kind of bacteria, What is the process of getting rid of and a ballpark cost ??
    Thanks
  9. sammyhydro11

sammyhydro11 Previous member

Before any one can give you an idea on cost you will need a water report.

SAM