Changing curb stop valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

g20zoom

Reaction score
Right now I have a plastic main water line about 25 years old. It's about 30 ft long and there is a palm tree in the line of view from where it enters the house to the meter. So with new hard landscaping, I'm planning on changing out the mainline to 1" copper tubing Type L. My friend, used to be plumber and highly recommends I changed the curb stop valve. I think it's over kill...and I'm leaning on not doing it since the Jones valve is quite pricey...$120-175 depending on size. I know of a 3/4" meter from my bill, the line into the regulator is 1".
What I can't determine is, what size are those threads coming off my water meter to my Jones valve. I think exiting the jones valve it's 1 1/4, with a reducer to 1" is what it appears but I can't really get a good measurement due to the space for the thread sizes connection part to the water meter.
I'm measuring somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5"...but that's the thing, I I'm not sure which one it would be without disassembly.

https://www.sandiego.gov/water/pdf/operations/locatemeter.pdf

Any tips how I can figure out? City is of no help...at least i can't talk to the right person.
Here's a pic...hope it comes through.

jones_valve.jpg

If I measure the nut on the right size...will that help determine the thread size?
I guess the other way is to try harder and dig a little more in the meter box. Space was tight and awkward to measure the thread size below the nut.

thanks!

-Dan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
without something for a reference there is no way we can tell the size from the picture. However, the "nut'" is a union nut for the meter so that will not help you either. But, I am almost sure, from your picture, that it is either 3/4" or 1" pipe. (There is no "reducer" that I can see.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks