Changing Bath Exhaust Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

gpdewitt

Reaction score
I live in Burbank, CA where code requires metal sheathing on all wiring inside walls. I'm trying to replace a fan, but the place where the wires come into the box are on the opposite side from the original, so the existing flex conduit wiring is too short to reach. I understand code does not allow for junction boxes to be buried in the wall. Can I add a junction box accessible by removing the fan, so as to extend the wires? How do you pros handle this? Here's a sketch if it helps.

Attachments

• fan sketch.jpg
    fan sketch.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 444

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Your basically old working the fan right? if so, then I have no problems burying a j-box behind the new fan, is it a real pain in the ass for the next guy, sure, but does it meet code, yes it does. :)

gpdewitt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Yeah, it's either add a box or start ripping out drywall and flex back to the last j-box, waaaay too much work just to change out a fan.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it is flex, you can extend it with a coupling and pull new wires.

If it's MC, you need a JB.

If there is attic space with a scuttle somewhere, it is still considered accesible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks