Change Vanity Plumbing:

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by oldberkeley, Jan 27, 2010.

1. oldberkeley

oldberkeley New Member

Replacing old vanity, need to move the plumbing about 18" to the left (blue tape.)

I'm OK with the hot & cold supply, seems to be fairly straightforward. Not sure what to do about the drain?????

TIA.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Cut the tee out, and point the new tee toward the blue tape.
    Then point it out the wall with a Medium 90

If the pipe is 1.5" it should be fairly easy.
    If it's 1.25", it will be harder to find pipe and fittings.

If it's over a crawl, you can find a 1.5" pipe or larger to connect to.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  3. export!

export! DIY Member

Is the drain exposed below the floor?
  4. oldberkeley

oldberkeley New Member

Terry-

Thanks for your prompt answer, as usual. Yes, it's 1.5".

Followed you great up to "cut the tee out"!:)

1. What kind of new tee can I use for the replacement?

2. What kind of pipe will I use for the run over?

Export-

Yes, fairly spacious and easy to work in crawl under the bathroom.
  5. jc60618

jc60618 DIY Junior Member

The company that I work for still uses this galvanized pipe set up. The vent bar and stack fitting with the shower arm already comes pre-fabed from the shop. Before cutting the tee out try to see if you can spin the tee. Figure out the size of the branch and buy a 2 feet piece of gal pipe. Insert the pipe into the branch get it snug and then turn it clockwise to the desired position. I always encouter this situation when working on rehabs and it never fails.
  6. oldberkeley

oldberkeley New Member

That things been there since 1958: it ain't spinnin'! :D
  7. jc60618

jc60618 DIY Junior Member

What are you using to spin the tee?
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I'm with Terry- cut the tee and a few inches of pipe top and bottom. Transition the galvanized to new PVC pipe and sani-tee with shielded no-hub couplings. Run new 1.5" PVC properly pitched and turned out to the new stub-out then finish with a trap adapter.
  9. oldberkeley

oldberkeley New Member

Couple more questions:

1. When I cut out the old cast iron tee from the long vertical run of galvanized drain pipe and replace it with a PVC tee and two no-hub couplings, is there some additional support needed? What?

2. When I run the new horizontal length of PVC and turn it out with a 90 degree fitting, how is that fitting supported behind the wall?

TIA.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Turn the tee and screw a piece of galvanized, or PVC/ABS with a threaded adapter into it. Regardless of how long it has been installed, it will turn. Either use a large pipe wrench, or a piece of pipe screwed into the opening. Drill a hole in the stud and that will support the pipe.