change this kitchen drain pipe or not bother

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by nothingeverworks, Feb 1, 2010.

1. nothingeverworks

nothingeverworks New Member

I am changing out my kitchen sink and faucet. Trying to decide whether to change the drain pipe. Takes up a lot of space but am undecided whether it's worth the bother or not and also concerned about the lack of pipe. i would need to cut it right at the wall.

[​IMG]
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If I am seeing your picture right, you have a double sink draining with no p trap at all. If that is right, you need a plumber.
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

I think the P trap is missing because the sink is missing. I wouldn't bother with messing with it. Just put in 2 new tubing traps and go with it. If you put in a tubing tee with a baffle your sinks will probably drain a lot slower than the 2" drain that is there.
  4. nothingeverworks

yes i removed the P taps with the sink
  5. asktom

asktom Member

Two traps on one trap arm does not meet code. The easiest fix would be to use one trap and cap the other side.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm glad I was not seeing the picture correctly! I was thinking if anyone was so inept not know that P traps were needed, there wasn't much hope of giving on line help. As others pointed out, you do need to make some changes, but it is a fixable situation. Retrofitting kitchen and bathroom drains can be frustrating because of the space restraints, but at least PVC is easier to connect than cutting and threading galvanized pipe! Now I can go about my day somewhat relieved. ;)
  7. nothingeverworks

i can do that! didn't know it wasn't code but that's the way the house came
  8. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

What's the code reference for this?
  9. nothingeverworks

so i took the second P trap out and connected the pipe from the insinkerator directly to the drain pipe with a "T" connection joint and capped off the other side.

Are you suppose to use Teflon tape on the threads of the PVC I am capping? (As is standard, I did NOT use teflon tape for the P-trap and other drain connections)
  10. nothingeverworks

11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There was nothing wrong with the original connection. But it was "overdone" if the installation did not need that particular configuration. Assuming you used the correct "tee" and piping, you probably did it properly. My picture did NOT show any missing traps.
  12. nothingeverworks

Sorry, my question is whether I should be using Teflon tape on the PVC connection where I've capped it. I know you DON'T use it on the drain kit parts (P-traps, tailpiece, etc)
  13. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You SHOULD, but as a practical matter, it would not normally leak unless the drain is plugged, and might not even then.
  14. nothingeverworks

okay. thanks much