Change Delta Shower Catridge

Users who are viewing this thread

rinconmike

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Delta 1400 series bathtub/shower faucet. It is around 20 years old. It started leaking (fast leak) yesterday. I read a bit and see I need to change out the cartridge (part RP19804). I went and got one from Home Depot. Turned off the water, and went to change it. The Bonnet nut is stuck. When trying to turn with a channel lock pliers, the entire housing that the cartridge fits into moved slightly and I stopped. I decided I will get a plumber. I turned the water back on and checked there are no leaks inside the wall (at the housing). Not sure if it makes a difference, but the model I have, has a lever and not a ball to turn in on.

Question is, with the housing turning slightly, did I damage anything? I see no leaks around it. Just the leaking faucet that i had before I started. When off, the lever is between 2 and 3 o'clock (closer to 3, but not 3). I do not recall if it was at 3 before I touched anything; however, I do think it is further from 3 that in was before).

thanks

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You probably stopped before you did irreparable damage to the body.

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rinconmike

Reaction score
Yo probably stopped before you did irreparable damage to the body.

Thanks. I took a picture before with the handle off. Tried taking same angle after. Left is the before. Shows how much the nut in the center changed position. I will let the plumber know. Should he try twisting it back or leave it be?

Shower Before and After.JPG

rinconmike

Reaction score
plumber got the bonnet nut off and changed the cartridge. spout still leaked. He tried a new spout and that still leaked. He thinks the shower body is bad. He said they can go bad after 20 years.

Shower is backed to a closet so we are going to cut in an access panel to change it out. Wife is happy she is going to get a fixture too.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The shower cartridge is the only thing that controls the water flow. If a new cartridge did not fix it (and it was installed properly), a possible problem is that there is a scratch or gouge or nick in one of the surfaces. It's possible that the line wasn't properly flushed prior to installing the new cartridge, and it got damaged by some loose debris in the lines that lodged somewhere it shouldn't. Last one I installed, ended up having a scratch on the surface brand new out of the box, and required a new seal kit to resolve the issue.

Spouts with a diverter in them tend to leak when old, but only when the valve is turned on and you're trying to use the shower. That's a totally different issue that has nothing to do with the valve itself.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What possible shower rough in valves did Delta offer that would accept those cartridges that could have twisted in the wall? According to Delta they came out with the current R10000 or equivelant universal rough in 2005

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I could see twisting the mounting frame... and the pipe.. eek.. at that point you're pretty hosed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks