Chandelier canopy issue

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I got blessed again this week by having to install a chandelier that had a canopy which was the same size as the box in the ceiling. The canopy doesn't cover the hole in the sheetrock.

On the first one, I was able to bore out the hole on the original canopy and install in on the new fixture. On the second fixture, I went to HD and bought a loose canopy with a threaded strap for the decorative nipple, using the common two beads to hold it up to the ceiling. Both fixtures are chain type.

I'm thinking that someone over in the orient is using one of our antique light fixtures from the 1920's as a model. I hope this isn't a trend.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many, not all, of the stuff built in China, is ordered and specified by a US company...so, it's not necessarily their fault. It's up to the QA/QC and design people to ensure the specs are right, then hold them to it. It can be done, but costs more.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the comeback, fellas. The customer hates ceiling medallions, so that wasn't an option.

The first fixture was just a matter of getting a bigger hole in the original canopy which would cover the box and the paint ring on the ceiling. I used a stepped drill bit to enlarge the hole to allow me to use the new chain/nut/and strap set-up.

Having had time to think about it, the second fixture really didn't have a way to attach the fixture to the box. Usually there's a strap with a threaded hole in the middle for a nipple which can be affixed to the ceiling box with a couple of 8-32 screws. There was nothing. I used a strap out of the leftover parts bucket and tried to make a conventional install with all that. The big problem was that the little canopy would not drop down far enough to allow someone to actually screw the strap into the box. (the canopy has a hole the size of the 3/8 nipple and has a set screw in the side to attach it to the decorative nipple which came with the fixture.)

So, with a new canopy from HD, I tried to hang the fixture. Still not enough room to get a screwdriver in there to attach the strap. Not even with a stubby. I have this set of stepped drill bits that are used to incrementally enlarge holes in metal boxes. I reamed out the two holes in the canopy big enough to get a screwdriver through them and was able to tighten the screws through the strap into the ceiling box. I could see victory just around the corner at this point. The canopy could then be attached by rotating it slightly and screwing on the bead nuts. Done.

I proudly showed it to the lady of the house for her approval. She wanted me to raise the fixture 12 inches. Shoot me in the freaking head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks