Champion installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

dvdguru

Reaction score
Hi, just installed the American Standard Champion and had a question. When I installed the tank it looks like it's leaning forward a bit? Also, the front of the tank meets the top of the bowl but the back of the tank is suspended in mid air? Is it supposed to be like this? There's no water leaking anywhere so it's tight enough to prevent that but looks strange to me. thanks!

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The champion is is one of the worst toilets available...there's actually a class action suit in the works! The poor tank fitting and useless flushing system really make this toilet stand out...I'm sure you'll find lots of info about your toilet on this site if you search for it! Hopefully yours has the flapper kit instead of the terrible piston contraption.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

usually if you remove the tank and reset it centering the gasket on the toilet bowl it will go down straight, or just tighten the bolts to bring the back down, assuming the gasket is resilient enough to compress further.

dvdguru

Reaction score
I did set the tank down straight but was afraid I was going to crack it if I kept tightening it. I know all about this toilet. I had the older model that had the leaking problems. I never had a flushing problem which is why I bought the new one. I replaced an Eljer Titan which would clog up 9 out of 10 times which is why I went back to the champion. The leaking seems to have been fixed with the new flapper from what I've seen so far.

I saw some posts by a plumber on here lately and I was hoping he could chime in and let me know if the back of his tank was touching the bowl?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I replaced the flush valve on an old Champion (they came out 3 years ago) the other day, I don't think the back of the tank was touching either.

dvdguru

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I was just a little worried as if you look at it from the side it looks a little tilted forward as opposed to sitting straight up. It's not leaking or anything and looks to be much improved over the older model (ouch, the water bills I paid with that thing).

I know, I'm a glutton for punishment but the Champions have been the best toilets I've owned as far as flushing. I never had to use a plunger on the older model, the problem as you all know was the water leaking into the bowl due to the old tower piston version. This new version with the flapper looks to be just what I was hoping for. Of course, time will tell but I'll keep you updated if I experience any problems.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've had plenty of toilets that work very well, so I can pick and choose which ones work well, and are easy to install.
I don't like sifting through boxes to find something that works.
You picked a bear for a homeowner, or a plumber.

plumbtired

Reaction score
OK, OK, the Champion is the "worse toilet" out there, but...

As you have noticed, there are many respondents who detest the Champion toilet, much less anything manufactured by American Standard. Some of that animosity is deserved but, like you, I found the Champion to be extremely clog-resistant, which was a huge plus in this household. Once I got past the pesky piston flush valve (replaced with the new-and-improved flapper type), I am completely happy with the Champion.

But, yes, the Champion tank does not always sit squarely onto the bowl. I have two Champions: one sits nice and straight while the other is slightly skewed forward to the right. Both DO NOT touch the back two nipples, supports, or whatever you might name them, on the bowl. Yes, the tank may lean slightly to the front of the toilet. In my case, I don't notice it since there are walls surrounding both toilets. Even with the perfectionist-foiling (yep, I am one of those perfectionists...) tank-to-bowl hookup, I have no leaks and a seamless operation of the toilets. Sounds like you have the same scenario. Thus, I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bugs you...then you can try re-seating the tank to the bowl and hope for better results--good luck! :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As has been said here before...for a professional plumber, consistency, and quality with no surprises makes a big difference on what they recommend. They can't afford to pick up a second toilet or take it out of the box to verify it is a "good" one that won't cause the customer to reject the toilet. Toto's QA/QC is much better than the vast majority of product out there...doing the job once makes both the plumber and customer happier and saves profits from call backs or extra trips to the distributor for a replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks