Challenger PC266R pressure tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Gpace1, May 23, 2013.

1. Gpace1

Gpace1 Retired

I just noticed a leak under my pressure tank in the garage. This tank was installed July 2006. The previous one (same model) was installed in 2002 and failed the same way. The leaking water is very rusty. Water pressure and quality in house is unaffected, so far. Are these tanks prone to this type of failure? Is there a better quality tank? I read somewhere that this tank has be replaced with a diaphragm type (FLX185PC266). Is this tank any better? I need some advise before I have someone come out and replace this tank. Thanks. Gene
  2. craigpump

craigpump Member

Well X Trol is the best
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I believe that PC266 is a diaphragm tank. You need to see if it is the tank or just a fitting that leaks. But if the tank itself is already rusted through, you might want to try a fiberglass one next time.
  4. Gpace1

Gpace1 Retired

Thanks to all replies. Had Associated Drilling out of Manchaca, Texas come out. The 5 year old Challenger had a rusted out welded "malleable" elbow leaking. I had them install another challenger "I" series (I85-PC266) with a stainless elbow. $900. out the door. Took them all of 30 minutes. But..... now I know how to do it. Thanks of again.
  5. craigpump

craigpump Member

$900.00 sounds like a very fair price to me
  6. Gpace1

Gpace1 Retired

Yes, I was very pleased. The labor was $150. for 2 men. No supplies. Shut pump power, drain tank, unscrew two pipes and drag the old one away. Reconnect new, check air and start filling while watching pressure switch. Done...