Challenger PC266R pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Gpace1

Retired
Reaction score
I just noticed a leak under my pressure tank in the garage. This tank was installed July 2006. The previous one (same model) was installed in 2002 and failed the same way. The leaking water is very rusty. Water pressure and quality in house is unaffected, so far. Are these tanks prone to this type of failure? Is there a better quality tank? I read somewhere that this tank has be replaced with a diaphragm type (FLX185PC266). Is this tank any better? I need some advise before I have someone come out and replace this tank. Thanks. Gene

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I believe that PC266 is a diaphragm tank. You need to see if it is the tank or just a fitting that leaks. But if the tank itself is already rusted through, you might want to try a fiberglass one next time.

Gpace1

Retired
Reaction score
Thanks to all replies. Had Associated Drilling out of Manchaca, Texas come out. The 5 year old Challenger had a rusted out welded "malleable" elbow leaking. I had them install another challenger "I" series (I85-PC266) with a stainless elbow. $900. out the door. Took them all of 30 minutes. But..... now I know how to do it. Thanks of again.

Gpace1

Retired
Reaction score
Yes, I was very pleased. The labor was $150. for 2 men. No supplies. Shut pump power, drain tank, unscrew two pipes and drag the old one away. Reconnect new, check air and start filling while watching pressure switch. Done...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks