Certa-Lok drop pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using this quick connect drop pipe? We don't use elevators, so never got to try out this pipe style.

http://www.naspecialtyproducts.com/...oducts/Water-Well/Certa-Lok-Drop-Pipe-30.html

I just sold 80 sticks of 6" Yellowmine pipe that I bought a pile of at auction. I used it for a hydro power penstock in a mountain creek. This pipe is super duty and high impact rated - can take a beating in a stream bed. The connections are heavy couplers with o-rings designed for either permanent use [hard to insert pipe] or for above ground use that are easier to assasemble. The pipe is also sunlight rated, and is used in mining for moving it around in cyanide app's or other irrigation uses. Once you get the pipes inserted, you slip in a 3/8" diameter plastic spline to a specially formed groove in the coupler. Sounds like this pipe is about the same idea. But I would pull a 1" typical well pipe string of schedule 80 or 120 in a non stop pull either by hand or with a wheel or belt device. In general, threads are on the way out for a lot of uses. http://www.intpipe.com/yelomine_pipe.aspx

Incredibly, and I wish I had made a video of it, we were able to put temporary caps on each end of a 20' stick and then heat the pipe with a weed burner type torch and bend it to any desired radius. Because of the pressure in the pipe, there is no collapsing or distortion.

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I've used it quite a few times..... one older set I pulled (like 15 or 20 years in the well), the splines were brittle and cracked up to pieces when I pulled the out of the joint. The pipe, couplings, and O-rings were all fine. I use a little Milwaukee M12 drill/driver on the set screws to speed things up. Pulled a 15 HP on 300' of 3" in about an hour a couple months ago. One question, how can you be a PumpMD and not use elevators?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had thought about using a string of 3" a year or two ago. When I called my local Preferred branch they said they had brought some in, nobody bought it. They ended up shipping it to a branch in California. they would order mr some, but I would have to take a full lift of it. So I used galvanized.

It didn't seem that there was any price advantage compared to galvanized.

I would be interested in hearing from somebody who has used it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never used the drop pipe, but I've run miles of 4" as liner. It's fast, strong & easy to use for a little more than belled end pipe.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah I've used lots of the PVC casing. No more glue & screw for me. It really shines if you have to pull a liner back out.

I've wondered how well the torque arrestor set screws work on the 2" and bigger drop pipe.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
One question, how can you be a PumpMD and not use elevators?

It comes from the knowledge about pumps & pump systems, not how you pull your drop pipe.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
One question, how can you be a PumpMD and not use elevators?

It comes from the knowledge about pumps & pump systems, not how you pull your drop pipe.

So how do you safely pull pipe?

Boyce-- The set screws work fine....never had any splines move or indication that there were any torque problems. The pipe is not much different in price from steel, but the advantage come in areas with a lot of iron bacteria and also in places where there is a lot of h2s...(that reacts pretty bad with gal steel drop pipe around here).

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
We had are local welder build us some attachments for pulling threaded pipe, the bigger one swivels. For your glue together pipe we use some safety rope & a pipe vice.

Attachments

• 1449350157821.jpg
    1449350157821.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 1449350190033.jpg
    1449350190033.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 1449350372185.jpg
    1449350372185.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 1449350521583.jpg
    1449350521583.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 1449351081861.jpg
    1449351081861.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 280

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The lifting plugs look plenty safe, but the non swiveling ones must suck to work with. The rope sure isn't a very good idea, but then again, neither is glued pipe. A few bucks on the right tools will make your job a ALOT easier and quicker.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The lifting plugs look plenty safe, but the non swiveling ones must suck to work with. The rope sure isn't a very good idea, but then again, neither is glued pipe. A few bucks on the right tools will make your job a ALOT easier and quicker.

The non swivels you break the pipe loose from the ground, very quick & easy to do. These were made back in 1982, I wouldn't mind trying out elevators. If a safety rope was installed on the glued together pipe, then you can pull the pump by the safety rope or for people that install their pump on polly pipe. Of course our well depths are usually 300ft or less.

The pipe vice is used for back up just incase.

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The non swivels you break the pipe loose from the ground, very quick & easy to do. These were made back in 1982, I wouldn't mind trying out elevators. If a safety rope was installed on the glued together pipe, then you can pull the pump by the safety rope or for people that install their pump on polly pipe. Of course our well depths are usually 300ft or less.

The pipe vice is used for back up just incase.
Doesnt it twist up your hoist cable each each joint?

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
No, when I go back to shop I will show you why, basically another swivel point.
If they make a faster rig then the smeal rig, this would save time with the non swivels because I am usually waiting on the cable to drop.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The other swivel point I was talking about.

Attachments

• P_20151207_084420.jpg
    P_20151207_084420.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 235
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks