ceramic tile vs solid surface shower

Users who are viewing this thread

cba

Reaction score
I am looking to remodel my bath and want to eliminate my fiberglass shower. I hate cleaning shower door tracks. I don't want shower curtains either. I am considering a walk in shower but I don't want to exchange one cleaning problem for another. (there is no chance my husband would actually dry the walls after showering!)Would ceramic tile be a cleaning nightmare for me? Would a solid surface like Corian, Silestone, etc. be a better alternative. Thanks for any help or guidance out there.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Showers need to be cleaned no matter what surface you have. Just a fact of life, with minerals in the water, soap scum and other oddities.

Having said that, I don't see much of a difference cleaning tile vs. solid surface. I have both in my house and they have their nuances. Solid surface has no grout lines, but it does have caulk joints where the panels meet. Mildew builds up in the joints and you need to scrape out the old caulk and make it new again about every 18 months or so.

Ceramic tile has grout joints which, over time, will be where the gunk builds up.

As far as a door or a curtain, you need one. Unless you are talking about a truly walk in, doorless shower. Those require a fair amount of square footage to do right. Not sure how you're going to avoid cleaning the door, no matter what kind you have. Frameless doors have fewer nooks and crannies, but it's a shower, and stuff builds up. Curtains get scummy in a few months and need to be replaced.

If you're looking for a shower that doesn't have to be cleaned, you may be looking for something that doesn't exist. If you have the floor area (square footage) available to do a walk in, doorless shower, that is probably what you are looking for. Not cheap though. You need more tile for a walk-in than, for example, a 60" niche or neo-angle shower. And the tile needs to be installed, after a considerable amount of plumbing, framing and cement board work is done.

I just remodeled my master bath in the range of $10k-$20k, and I did all the work myself. The shower was custom glass neo-angle. I would think for a large doorless shower, you would be looking above $20k for the whole bath remodel, if someone else does the work. Probably just under $20k if you are doing the work.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Corian or Corian product will give you the easiest clean-up. Squeegee after a shower goes a long way on keeping it clean.

We also recently upgraded a shower, used Corian my wife loves it.

Paul

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
It's just my opinion and I would use ceramic with the grout seams in my house without question.

Personally because I think it will look nicer a lot longer.......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
the glaze on tile is a lot harder than corian and will likely look the same for longer. Depends on which one you like better. I like tile and real stone better than the simulated look in the synthetics even though they are getting better. Each needs a proper installation to last.

The Grout Doctor

Reaction score
Tile and Grout cleaning

If you choose tile or stone, make sure your tile setter uses epoxy grout.
(If your tile setter does not want to use this grout, get another tile setter that is staying current within their trade.)

Epoxy grouts are very easy to keep clean due to their low moisture absorpancy. It is difficult to stain if the curing procedures have been followed properly.
Mold and mildew in grout is a major problem due to absorpancy factors. This will not happen in epoxy grout.

Non sanded grouts typically used in wet areas can still grow mold and will break down over time if proper maintenance is not followed.

Epoxy grout is specified in hospitals and food manufacturing plants up here in Canada.

sincerely,
www.TheGroutDoctor.ca

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Today's shower door track designs are much more user friendly than in the past. The are open to the inside, so cannot trap water.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
a good option to install to help keep a shower clean is a seperate handheld personal shower. its good to spray off walls and doors. then a squeege to wipe the glass. helps between cleanings. plus a thicker (3/8) glass comes with less frame. which is easier to keep clean.

surfaces don't matter. either still need to be cleaned. imo

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
corian or acrylic is the best route

the tile will fail you eventually, its just how soon

I have tile in my house in a recent bath re-model and I am keeping a sharp eye on it...

its what the wife wanted and its ok for now but I know before I die I will be doing it all over again...

I have selaed off all the main grout lines (corners , edjes and walls lines)
with a heavy bead of acrylic grout
then a clear bead of silicone......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

the corian is a great choice, but can be pricey but will last forever.....

also you can buy sheets of synthetic marble too that work just like corian..

their are also resurfaceing companies springing up everywhrer that install sheets of acrylic panelling that they claim will give you a lifetime warranty on the panels... they are not a bad product for what you pay.......

another thing to do, put a good bath fan inthat shower and you dont have to squeege it out every time you use it....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks