Central Shower Diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

kylejamesdean

Reaction score
I recently moved in to a house and discovered the Central brand in wall shower diverter was not working properly, allowing a significant amount of water out of the bath spout while in the shower position. Today, I took it all apart, took the old stem (which was visibly in need of replacing) to the hardware store and bought a new one. I replaced the stem and discovered that it had solved precisely none of my problem. I have the same amount of water coming out of my bath spout while in shower position as though I hadn't done anything. Does this mean there is another failed part in the wall, or that I installed the new stem improperly? I am a plumbing novice, and would really appreciate some expert advice before I call a professional. Thank you in advance!!​

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m guessing you only replaced the diverter /middle stem. Was it a compression stem or a ceramic stem? If it was a compression stem did you replace the seat? There may be a rubber washer and hard plastic washers that could be missing. Did you open the stem before screwing it in?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE can't answer your question without seeing the valve and the stem, because the stem is a "double seat" so it has to fit the valve body exactly. If any washers are missing, or if any were added, it will not work.

kylejamesdean

Reaction score
I went back and replaced the seats as suggested and now have a working shower! Thank you both for your help!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks