Central home water filters

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Warren Oglove, May 14, 2012.

1. Warren Oglove

Warren Oglove New Member

I was looking at a Whirlpool Central Water Filtration System. This is a self flushing system; therefore, never requires filter replacement. This filter contains a "special grade charcoal," which means activated charcoal. (I think.) Whirlpool sez this stuff should last appx. 10 years.. I understand this stuff is expensive and also understand that Whirlpool may be spreading some B.S.... The bottom line is: One a scale of 1 -10, where does this rate..

AND..Does someone out there have a recommendation regarding a good whole house filtration system.

Our Cities water comes from wells. They do filter it, but not that well....
    Ho..Ho..
  2. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

A carbon filter, especially catalytic carbon, (Centaur is one brand name) is good for removing chloramine from city water. It certainly improves the taste, and who wants that stuff in the shower. It will remove plain old chlorine too, but cheaper carbon does this as well.

Find out which your city uses. A backwashing granular carbon filter can be a nice improvement. But, if you're on city water it should be pretty well treated already, so you're just removing the chlor(am)ine.

A separate water softener following the carbon tank will be necessary to address hardness.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I personally would not buy any type of filtration equipment with Whirlpool, GE, or Kenmore's name on them. You can get a much better quality GAC system with a Fleck valve on it for not much more money and it will way outlast any of the others.