cement vs. asphalt

Users who are viewing this thread

blacktop37

Reaction score
Hi everyone! first post, very much enjoy the site. We are wanting to redo 6000 sq ft of drive. cement is about $18,ooo asphalt around $8500. We plan on staying in our home a long time. My wife likes the idea of reblacking the asphalt every few years. Do you think I should bite the bullet now on the cement or will the asphalt hold up as long with sealing every 2 years? Thank you for your input

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've been told, asphalt will last about 20-years, if you recoat it or not...doesn't matter - it just looks better if you do. Oil spills will cause the asphalt to soften. Cement will stain, but still remain intact. Cement can be stamped to look like brick or stone and colored something other that light grey. Cement could last a lifetime if done well. Lots of use of salt can degrade the cement. If you go with cement, you also have the option of installing pex tubing and manifolds so you could heat it to remove snow. If you don't want to do the whole thing now, you could prepare it for that and hook up a boiler later. If you decide on that option, you want insulation and a water barrier.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
IMHO concrete is the better product. Just my feeling, I'm not an expert on the matter.

Did the prices you quoted include complete excavation and removal of the existing drive? I have a smaller asphalt drive I want to replace, and it should be dug up and redone.

p.s. We knew you really meant to call it "macadam".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
asphalt

Asphalt depends on vehicles driving over it to "recompact" it. With little or moderate traffic it will crack and craze. That is the reason for having to recoat it periodically.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks