Cement board/drywall dilemma, need help

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonaddis84

Reaction score
Hello, I have an interesting problem Im hoping you can help me with.

I am tiling a 5'x5' shower. There is a pocket door that protrudes into one of the shower walls. There is about 16" of wall outside the shower until you get to the door frame.

I am using Hardiboard 500 for the shower wall backing. When I was looking at it today I realized that if I end the Hardiboard at the shower, I will have a cement board/drywall joint that is at the pocket door support. That pocket door support is very weak and flexible.

So, the two options I came up with, maybe there are more...
1. End the cement board there and have a seam between it and drywall and hope for the best.
2. Continue the Hardiboard all the way to the door frame, then texture/paint it just like drywall. Their website actually specifies that it CAN be textured/painted same as sheetrock. My concern here is moisture wicking through the cement board and softening the paint. I would surely use a high quality bathroom paint, and probably even prime at least this one area.

Thoughts?

20150831_165841_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Had you considered surface applied waterproofing? It comes in both liquid and sheet material, available from multiple manufacturers. I'd be more worried about the strength of the wall verses the moisture wicking, but that is a consideration.

Stephenson

Reaction score
I think I would run drywall from the studs at the back of the pocket door to the door frame ...looks like the water will spray away from that area, so, if you have poly behind the cbu and the drywall, plus heavily coat the drywall and the seam between it and the cbu, it might work fine ...not as well as cbu, but circumstances dictate.

Was thinking about 1/2" marine plywood from the same spot, but put a cleat on the back side of it at the same depth as the wood support mid door, making the cleat 12" to support additional construction adhesive and drywall screws?

Gonna be tile over the cbu and drywall, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks