Cell Phone Reviews and comments

Discussion in 'Computers and Stuff' started by Terry, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I'm shopping for a new phone, and was wondering what others like and what they are using.
    What type of things should I be looking for?
  2. jay_wat

jay_wat Plumber

what are you looking for the phone to do??

i had a blackberry,,and just upgraded to an Android,,and i myself like all the features that comes with it. my wife just got a regular phone to talk and text,, they have so many differnt phones,,just depends what you like the phone to do.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Boy, am I the wrong one to give advice on that score! My previous phone hung on the wall and had a crank on the side! Now I have this ultra-modern doozy! Yes, that is JB Weld holding the antenna together. I use Tracfone prepaid, love it, and this phone is close to 10 years old. Still works, so why would I get rid of it???

[​IMG]
  4. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

In my experience, LG makes some fancy phones, but from what I have read and experienced, their phones tend to be glitchy and easily breakable. However Samsung makes some very nice phones that seem to be pretty solid...I've never had a problem with any of their phones that I have owned...or any of their electronics actually. Generally I prefer slider phones to other types, although some of the touch screen models are nice.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A friend of mine just got the Android.
    She loves it.
    I will have to ask her how it does on picture taking. It's a 5.0 so at least it gets a lot of pixel informaton.

I have been using an LG8100 which seems very slow by comparison.
    It has a touch screen, but things like web viewing are too small and too slow. It just frustrated me more then anything.
    Pictures seemed too small. I would have loved to be able to take pictures for the web site from a camera phone. It would be so handy.
    Alas, the pictures were too small on the LG.
    It was 2.0 which should have been fine, but never really gave me a usable picture.
  6. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I have never owned a mobile phone with a built in camera. I'm like Jimbo and choose to carry a brick.
  7. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

What carrier are you on?
    I have an HTC Touch, the screen is large enough to be useful but I found that I don't like a "virtual" keyboard. I'm looking to get a full screen touch phone with a slide out keyboard.

Sprint will be releasing a new HTC phone with an 8 megapixel camera on it, takes hi-def video and has an HDMI port. I would look at that for myself except for the fact that I like to get my phones either super cheap or free through sprint's upgrade process and that phone doesn't have a slideout keyboard. Sprints 4G network will make online signifigantly faster.

Current phone:
    [​IMG]
  8. maddog

maddog Engineer

My brother just got a Droid and says the camera is very good - better than his digital camera. Don't know the specs (pixels) on it though ... I'm like the other dinosaurs - have an old flip-phone with an antenna (which shows how old it is).
  9. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Carrier? Don't make me laugh. I use pay as you go.

$100 lasts me a year. That works out at about $8 a month.
  10. FloridaOrange

I use my phone too much. I don't text a whole lot but I talk and use the internet several times daily. Having the internet has saved me quite a few hassles and I also log onto pandora for music when I take my daughter for walks. I also can hood the phone up to the car stereo for internet radio on trips.
  11. Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  12. FloridaOrange

Just be aware the with the Iphone you need a "minimum" data plan. The monthly bill will run between $115-130/month, the data is not unlimited and unless they changed things you cannot get insurance on an Iphone.