Ceiling Height for New Bathroom

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by nelsonba, Jan 11, 2007.

1. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

I'd like to add a bathroom to an unfinished space on the 2nd story of my house. The ceiling follows a roof line that drops from 8' to 4' over a run of 6'. Does the ceiling drop too much to do this without adding a dormer? It looks like it's doable, but I'm not sure that it would meet code requirements.

Thanks
  2. diagram please

will work. But a lot depends on the other length; it's 6' by __ feet.

david
  3. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

No worries there. The space runs the whole length of the house. About 35' or so.

So I won't get hung up on any type of ceiling height code requirement?

Thanks
  4. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

Here is a quick diagram

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

• plan.JPG
      plan.JPG
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  5. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I do not know what any code might require, but a 3' wide tub placed along your 8' high (long) wall would leave you with only 6' of decreasing headroom where you step in and out. But if you place a 5' tub/shower along the sloping end wall, you would only have to be careful about stepping too far back in the tub and/or away from the showerhead.

I could see a toilet facing away from your 4' wall and toward the 8' wall, but not all the way back. Personally, I would put the tub-shower at one end of an appropriately-lengthed room and the lav/vanity at the other end, with the toilet and door in-between and offset to either side of the center of the length of the room, as in one closer to the tub and the other closer to the lav/vanity so you can open the door (in) without hitting the toilet.

Does that make any sense?!
  6. barrybpdx

barrybpdx New Member

below is part of what's required in Portland OR.

In bathrooms with sloped ceilings, not
    more than 75 percent of the floor area is
    permitted to have a ceiling height less than 6'8", provided an area of 21 inches deep by 24 inches wide in front
    of toilets and lavatories has a minimum height of 6'4", measured from the finished fl oor. An area of 24 inches
    by 30 inches both in front of, and inside of a tub or shower shall have a minimum height of 6'4", measured
    from the standing surface of the fixture.
  7. where vents & drains go is the next step

nelson

looks like you already got a lot of good tips. Progress!

next step is to see all the possible ways to run vents and drains. Then you add your wish list on top of that, i mean all the things you wish you could have in your new bathroom.

david
  8. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

Here's what I have so far...

I might think about only doing one sink and moving it to the wall by the toilet and then moving the toilet over to the center of the room... Depending on what the permit office has to say. I think I'm going to have an issue with the door though. If I swing it into the bathroom, I think it's going to hit the ceiling assuming an 80" height on the door. Any solutions here other than have the door swing out instead? Here's a couple photos of the plan so far. I welcome any other ideas.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. tuck toilet away, so you see another focus when you enter

assuming all drains can go anywhere...

i would tuck the toilet away, near the shower, so that upon entering you see something else primarily.

i would extend the thickened wall right across the whole bathroom and make it storage or open shelving or a combination of both. Even in the shower. With a bench in the shower on that side too.

i would put the sinks on the big thickened-wall storage side, so your tall wall is the edge of the passage to the shower. The sinks would then be roughly in the geometric center of the space as shown today, but would appear to be on the back wall.

david
  10. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

What about mirrors

What would you do about mirrors if you put the sinks on the short wall?
  11. hang two oval mirrors, one behind each sink

i would hand 2 oval or round mirrors.

In front of really nicely built open shelving made with large porcelain tiles. that is what i would prefer. But i'm only fantasizing about some ideal place and i haven't seen your reality.

david
  12. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

Don't think that will work

The wall isn't tall enough to fit a mirror. I've got an 8-12 pitch on the roof line. Wouldn't want to mount it to that. I think the sink would have to go either at the end or on the tall wall. I'm going to call the permit office and see what the code requirements are for ceiling heights.

Thanks
  13. i agree. use the ceiling.

sorry i didn't spell it out. forget that back wall. it is too short. we agree.

if you want my idea, it goes like this: hang mirrors from the ceiling.

Build shelving along that short back wall, instead of building a whole new wall, which loses space and makes your bathroom into a long narrow room.

i always use the ceiling

david
  14. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Try a round-top or corner-cropped door!
  15. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Pocket door?
  16. The Marble Guy

The Marble Guy Cultured Marble installer /remodeler

Regarding bathroom 2
    Why not make the shower 3x3. I think it would make the slope less of an issue. You could use the space for a cabinet faced linen closet, water heater or something.
    MTC