ceiling fan lights "pop" and went dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
My son recently installed a new ceiling fan and light kit. A few days later, when turning on the lights, they went "pop" and all 3 lights went dead. The fan works fine, but I can't figure out the light problem. I checked to see that power is going to the light fixture connection, and there is none. There is a blue wire, which carries power to a little black box, which is connected to the pull switch but no power is coming out...I don't know what the box is for. The lights are 3 GU10 50w bulbs. Any suggestions? Is the little black box the problem?

Thanks
Ed

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The little black box is probably the switching unit, but we cannot tell you WHERE the problem is without testing to see what has power and what does not.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Is the little black box the problem?

Possibly, and I would suspect it is some kind of heat-sensitive circuit breaker intended to prohibit bulbs from overheating everything. I have occasionally had success in locating parts for ceiling fans and their lights, but you might save a lot of time and trouble by simply replacing that entire "light kit".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the "pop" was in the box where the fan was mounted, or in the fan wiring ahead of the light kit, replacing it would not correct the problem. Check the power TO the light's connection and see if it is also dead. Until you find out WHERE it "popped", you will be just guessing and replacing parts willy nilly.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, there is current going to this little black box, but none coming out. I think leejosepho, may be right, because there are 3 50w halogen bulbs in the fixture. If it is, I suspect it wouldn't be a good idea to byass the box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We do not know WHAT the little black box is. If it is part of the switch, you wouldn't be able to turn the lights on and off if you remove it. If it is that small, it is also not likely to be a transformer for low voltage halogen bulbs either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks