Caulking questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Riker1384

Reaction score
My new toilet is on a floor of very small tiles. I want to caulk most of the way around. How should I clean under the edge well enough to make the caulk stick? Will a toothbrush and some dilute bleach work, or what? It's an old floor, not brand new.

Is there anything else tricky about it?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Scrub it up with hot water and whatever and let it dry. Caulk it and use a small flat sponge or a nice old piece of cotton and wipe the caulking in until it looks real nice.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only way that the caulk won't stick is if the area is wet or there is loose dirt or hair, etc.

The trick is to not cut off too much of the tip and to cut it on a 45 degree angle. I like to use my fingers instead of a sponge to smooth it.

Carl Simmo

Reaction score
Use your finger and a wet cloth in the other hand to clean your finger as you go...

viennamicro

Reaction score
Larnt the Hard Way

I've learned that using plumber's putty may be preferable to calk for a toilet.

It is much easier when you need to pull the commode considering both removing it and making it look good when you re-seat the toilet.

I've also found it more forgiving for us novices who are perhaps not the best at smoothing out calk.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
viennamicro said:
I've learned that using plumber's putty may be preferable to calk for a toilet.

It is much easier when you need to pull the commode considering both removing it and making it look good when you re-seat the toilet.

I've also found it more forgiving for us novices who are perhaps not the best at smoothing out calk.

I never heard of using plumber's putty around a toilet. Do they make designer colors? I thought it just came in that one grayish/tan color.

If you need to pull a caulked toilet you just take out your razor blade and cut right through the caulk.

If you need to learn how to caulk...Practice.

Riker1384

Reaction score
If the thread is going to be revived, I finished it. At first it looked like too much, so I took some away, but then it shrunk so it's concave and mostly under the toilet, not flush with it. It looks like it's sealed all the way around though. Otherwise it's nice and pretty-like. I think I used Kwik Seal. I didn't seal the back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks