caulking not holding

Users who are viewing this thread

badgerfan

Reaction score
Hi I just remodeled a bathroom and am having a problem with the caulking. Where the tub and tile meet the caulk is not holding. the tub i bought is the main issue i think because it holds a little water in the corners.

Is there such a thing as a high moisture or some sort of specialty caulk that will do the trick.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thank you

Ryan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, the substrate needs to be perfectly dry for the caulk to adhere and make its cure. Some acyillic caulks can't stand moisture, especially standing water well at all until cured, and some don't like standing water after the fact, either. If the tub is not perfectly level, you'll have problems down the road regardless of the caulk. 100% silicon, if you start with it dry and clean, should work. Harder to get it to look nice. Some caulks can take quite awhile to cure, and shouldn't see any water until that happens. You need to read the instructions carefully - cured on the surface is not cured all the way through. Also, if the caulk is too deep, consider foam caulk backer rods pressed in the 'slot' before you add the surface of caulk...it'll be more resilient that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks