Caulking around toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

turtle

Reaction score
Question,
When caulking around the toilet which is the best caulk to use?, a waterbased caulk which dries firmer,{less chance of movement}?, or a silicone caulk. Also I've read some people use grout?, to what purpose? This is a porcelian floor.
Thanks
Turtle

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Grout is sometimes used to match the floor. I don't like to use it because there is just enough movement of the toilet to crack the grout line.

I use Polyseamseal Tub & Tile because it is more user friendly. It does not set up rock hard like some G.P. caulks. Silicone is excellent, just harder to install.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I always caulk a U-shape around the toilet, leaving the back open so if the user(s) plunge the toilet and blow the wax ring they can instantly notice it. If it is completely caulked the problem can be delayed by not noticing, or cause structural damage and molding in regards to this problem. It is best to see the situation immediately, not down the road days/weeks/months later.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like a silicone caulk in the horseshoe shape as previously described. It has been pointed out by some of the professionals that in some areas the local code inspectors require the caulk to go completely around the back of the toilet. The secret to making a nice appearing caulk is to use a wet finger to smooth the joint. The Kwik product works well and is handy for the homeowner because it is applied from the tube, but the "regular" caulking tube and gun is just as good.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
I prefer Polyseamseal over Dap Kwik Seal. It tends not to shrink as much. Colortile and Hydromet both make sanded and non sanded caulks that are an exact color match to their grouts. Unfortunately, they are only available from tile distributors.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Toilet calk

I've found that the best way to calk a toilet is to shim the gap, front rear or side. Tile floors are hardly ever truley flat. And mix up some grout, white or colored. It stays a long time and looks better than calking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks