Caulking Around Toilet Base

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by DJ2, Oct 1, 2005.

1. DJ2

DJ2 Guest

I have something to add about caulking around toilet bases but can't locate the original thread. Sorry to start a new one but here goes.

I used silicone to caulk around the base of a toilet a number of years ago. When I replaced it the new toilet had a smaller footprint. The silicone was so firmly attached to the vynal floor that I couldn't remove it without taking up a chunk of the vynal surface.

You should consider this before using silicone caulk around a toilet.
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

calk

Thats top on my list as to why I don't calk the base of toilets that sit on a ceramic floor.
    Vinyl on wood floor, the toilet doesn't need to be calked unless the toilet is badly warped on the base......
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

aulk

Around here, you do not have a choice if it is a new installation that will be inspected. The inspectors will reject it if it is not caulked, and caulked all the way around without a gap at the rear.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

calk

Most of my time I spent was with repair work, so I do what I think is best for my customer.
    Or I do for them what I would do for myself.