Caulking Around Toilet Base

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by DJ2, Oct 1, 2005.

1. DJ2

DJ2 Guest

I have something to add about caulking around toilet bases but can't locate the original thread. Sorry to start a new one but here goes.

I used silicone to caulk around the base of a toilet a number of years ago. When I replaced it the new toilet had a smaller footprint. The silicone was so firmly attached to the vynal floor that I couldn't remove it without taking up a chunk of the vynal surface.

You should consider this before using silicone caulk around a toilet.

2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

calk

Thats top on my list as to why I don't calk the base of toilets that sit on a ceramic floor.
    Vinyl on wood floor, the toilet doesn't need to be calked unless the toilet is badly warped on the base......

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    aulk

Around here, you do not have a choice if it is a new installation that will be inspected. The inspectors will reject it if it is not caulked, and caulked all the way around without a gap at the rear.

5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

calk

Most of my time I spent was with repair work, so I do what I think is best for my customer.
    Or I do for them what I would do for myself.