cauking at shower drain stall

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by arrow, Nov 12, 2006.

1. arrow

arrow New Member

With kind advices from this forum, I replaced my shower drain stall and pipe. Finally, I applied silicon caulking bottom of Oatey stall and the boundary of it and my shower floor. I believe my floor is fiberglass (it's not tile). After two days, I did leak test and fount leaking from between the floor and the stall. I checked the silicon that I applied. I could rip it off. It was cured but did not adhere on the floor. I cleaned the surface before I applied. Even I tested on other spot to check if it stick on it. But it does not stick on it even it is cured. Did I misunderstood on using the silicon on this project?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The entire are must be completely dry. Sometimes it helps to use a hair dryer and a 24hour fan treatment to ensure this. Also, it is not unheard of to get a bad batch of caulk which does not cure.

Lastly, we would like to see a picture or diagram of this install, because there are no situations where caulk should be the primary waterproof boundary. Do you have a flange on the floor, and overlap the walls over the flange?
  3. arrow

arrow New Member

Thanks Jimbo. Here is the picture. I applied the caulk on the bottom of the Oatey stall. After I tighten the nut from the bottom I applied the caulk around the stall on the fiber glass floor.

Attached Files:

4. kordts

kordts In the Trades

You need caulk or plumber's putty under the flange on the top side of the shower stall. Nothing on the bottom. Actually, the drain body is installed before the base in dropped over the pipe. Then that rubber gasket slides over the pipe and the special wrench tightens up the caulk ring.
  5. arrow

arrow New Member

Thanks. The putty worked. Even the instruction in Oatey stall says applying silicon caulking, don't do it.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012