Cat5/Coax run short distance along side electric conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Jriker1

Reaction score
I am in the process of rewiring my basement and trying to route all my cables using J-Hooks along the rafters in my semi walk in crawlspace. This includes running the cables to my new server rack. Problem I have is contrary to my request to have the power plugs up in the rafters, electrician mounted them under the rafters. Because of this, in order to get the trunk from one switch to the one in the rack, I need to run for about 4 feet, parallel to a power conduit. Outside of it, but still parallel to it until the cat5 and coax (Comcast box in the rack), drop down into the rack from the top opening. See setup below.

Right not cat5 is draping down to show it more visually, and can see in theory where I'd be dropping it vertically into the server rack. Didn't want to install any hanging J-Hooks in that area until I knew if it was a good idea or not. Technically have one sitting above the 30A plug if you can make it out.

I do have some Monster plastic cable wrap

But thinking this isn't going to offer any protection if it's even needed. Is what I'm doing a problem or should I not really see any issues with this? If I will, any suggestions for alternatives or other types of wires? Will be running basically 4 cat5 wires for a trunk between switches, 1 cat5 wire for the phone line running into the Comcast cable modem, and two coax runs, one to the cable modem the other to a media center PC recording shows.

Note, trying to avoid drilling holes all the way across the rafters from the left side to the right to run the cables themselves in the rafters, also hate to move them a foot or so forward into the room as then it encroaches on the top shelf of the shelving unit I have to the left of the picture (you can see the end of it in the first pic, and ideally rather not run this on the floor and then up. Last one is because it's probably not ideal if basement floods and my current cables wouldn't make it then (last part not a big deal can cut more).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks