Cast iron vs galvanized steel.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by duffers, Nov 8, 2007.

1. duffers

duffers New Member

My inspector told me that i have both Cast iron and galvanized steel waste pipes. How can i tell the difference between them? I know from a practicality standpoint cast iron is good and galvanized steel is bad. So i want to try and find out what pipes i need to remove.

Thanks,
    Avi
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Why are either of these bad for waste pipes? Both will last years and will be quieter than PVC. If it ain't broke I wouldn't bother fixing it, not for waste.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I tend to agree with Ian although I hate galvanized pipe. It's pretty easy to tell the difference. Galvanized is silver colored and cast iron is black. Galvanized pipe screws into galvanized fittings and some thread will show. Cast iron is joined with molten lead poured into a bell shaped end that had oakum packed in before the lead was poured so you won't see the oakum. It has no threads. Cast iron pipe has a fairly large diameter when compared to galvanized because it is thicker.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Thanks Gary. Based on your description I have a mixture of galvanized and iron for the waste as well then in my home.