Cast Iron Tubs ?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jch, Jun 21, 2007.

1. jch

jch Member

I have a 1942-vintage American Standard cast iron bathtub with skirt (60" x 30" x 16"). Its finish is in remarkable shape (especially for a 65-year-old tub) but I want to replace it with another cast iron tub when I redo the rest of the bathroom so that everything looks sparkling new.

So far, I have found the following cast iron tubs (but all are 32" wide):
    - American Standard Spectra
    - Kohler K-505, K-519, K721, and K-785
    - Toto S-FBY1525, S-FBY1715

Questions:

1) Which of these tubs (if any) would you recommend? And why? The most important things to me are that it's durable and that it has a wide sump area (for showering).

2) Does anyone know of any 60" x 30" cast iron tubs on the market?

3) From the brands above (and your suggestions for #1), which would have the thickest, most durable, finish? I have heard that some tubs these days have a super-thin (i.e. terrible) finish but I don't know which brands those would be.

Thanks!
    .../j
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

bath

The Kohler Villager K-715 is 30 1/4".
  3. jch

jch Member

Thanks! That's great news (assuming I can find one).

I see on the Kohler spec sheet that they list two "recommended accessories":
    K-7160-TF Drain
    OR
    K-11660 Adjustable drain

Any advice on which (if either) to choose? I seem to remember them being recommended here, but I can't find the posting :(

Thanks!
    .../j
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Neither get a generic drain from wherever you buy the tub. Any Kohler site can order the tub, just be sure to use the correct number for whichever end the drain goes on.
  5. jch

jch Member

Perfect--thanks!

.../j