Cast Iron Tub Install

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Iree, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Iree

Iree New Member

Installing a Kohler 300 lb cast iron tub and I know my bathroom floor is slightly off level. Is it ok to just lay 1/2" hardibacker on the entire floor, then poor leveler down - whole room, let it dry and then set the tub on a level floor. I would then tile up to the tub apron.

Most online forums say install the tub on wood subfloor, then level it with shims but I am concern over time the wood subfloor may deteriorate. Also, with 1/2" hardibacker plus leveler, then and about 3/8" or so tile thickness - I am up to about an inch or more the side of the apron... .

Interested in your thoughts/advice
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

What kind of shape is the sub flooring in? In new homes we set the tub on the sub floor. They were also Kohler CI tubs.

John
  3. Iree

Iree New Member

I ripped out particle board and installed 3/4" pressure treated plywood over the 1/2" on so it is new.
  4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That should be fine. Just shim the tub as needed.

John