Cast Iron Toilet Flange Removal...OR???!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Metters

Reaction score
1905 home that is a rental of mine. I want to remove current flange because toilet I am replacing was a corner model placed at an angle, want to put new one flat towards the back wall beside the sink. Existing flange appears to have been glued to the outside of Cast Iron pipe, cannot get it to budge at all! Cannot figure out how to get this old flange off other than to break it up. My concern is that I might break the CI pipe which would be a much bigger job that I would need a plumber for. (NOT a DIY for me;) COULD just find another toilet that would fit, but space on left is tight and that leads me to believe a toilet that would fit is going to be spendy!! (Also already bought one at HD for under $100)
Need Ideas for the easiest most effective way to replace & install new flange...OR put new one over the exisiting, OR???
Pls see pics
Thanks - Michael

Attachments

• 1417289315634.jpg
    1417289315634.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 520
  • 1417291372724.jpg
    1417291372724.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 429
  • 1417291420845.jpg
    1417291420845.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 1417382939200.jpg
    1417382939200.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 453

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO problem, for a plumber, breaking the flange off and installing a new one. Another problem you will have is that the toilet's center line will only be 12" from the wall. You should have 15", and that CANNOT be solved with a new flange.

Reach4

Reaction score
That black plastic in the middle is not part of the flange, I don't think, but rather part of the wax ring. Lift up the center and remove that. Then clean the flange. It may be that you will not need to replace the flange.

How about another picture looking down and facing where the new tank would be against the wall. Maybe add a tape measure showing the distance from the wall.

Michael Metters

Reaction score
NO problem, for a plumber, breaking the flange off and installing a new one. Another problem you will have is that the toilet's center line will only be 12" from the wall. You should have 15", and that CANNOT be solved with a new flange.
Thanks for reply hj...I have 17.5 inches from back wall to center of hole/bolts & 14 inches from side wall.

Michael Metters

Reaction score
That black plastic in the middle is not part of the flange, I don't think, but rather part of the wax ring. Lift up the center and remove that. Then clean the flange. It may be that you will not need to replace the flange.

How about another picture looking down and facing where the new tank would be against the wall. Maybe add a tape measure showing the distance from the wall.
Reach4...thanks! I am sure you are right about black plastic in middle. BUT, the flange on it now is at an angle towards the corner. Could I drill new holes in that flange in order to straighten toilet out. Then use another ring or something on top for toilet bolts to slide into?

Michael Metters

Reaction score
Reach4...thanks! I am sure you are right about black plastic in middle. BUT, the flange on it now is at an angle towards the corner. Could I drill new holes in that flange in order to straighten toilet out. Then use another ring or something on top for toilet bolts to slide into?
Also the new tank going back towards wall will NOT be flush because of original CI pipe placement in floor, imagine I will have 4 - 5 inches or so between wall and toilet tank. This is how my upstarirs toilet is in my onw OLD house, 1904, and we have had no problems. (though I have not had a drunk person fall on it;)

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's see it. There may be slots that are in the right place. Or maybe you could put your own slots into place. Take the picture from where you might stand while using the new toilet from a standing position. Add the tape measure down the middle of the flange to the wall showing the rough-in distance.

Also, there is something called a repair ring. This gets bolted to the floor over an existing flange usually where part of the old flange is broken.

redring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Metters

Reaction score
Let's see it. There may be slots that are in the right place. Or maybe you could put your own slots into place. Take the picture from where you might stand while using the new toilet from a standing position. Add the tape measure down the middle of the flange to the wall showing the rough-in distance.

Also, there is something called a repair ring. This gets bolted to the floor over an existing flange usually where part of the old flange is broken.
I am not at the bldg and crazy w/my recruiting biz for the next couple hrs. Could get pics later today. I know for a fact that there are no slots on the existing flange that face the wall. The two that are there face the corner. I bought 4 different possible flange/flange repair things. Will take a pic of those too;) If I drill holes in existing CI flange so that I might fit repair one, will it be strong enough?

Reach4

Reaction score
A repair ring goes over the top. So the question is whether there is enough vertical clearance to fit the repair ring and the flange under the toilet. It is possible that you would keep the center part of the existing flange, but cut away the outer part. so that the repair ring would fit around the remaining part.

Now suppose the place where you would like to have the closet bolts is solid on the existing flange. You might not need a repair ring. You could drill new holes where you want the new bolts. Then you need a way to slide the new bolts in. For that you could cut/grind the outside of each hole to the outer diameter to allow the closet bolts to slide in. You might have to undercut the flooring in your new home-made slots to let the closet bolt head slide under.

I am not a pro, and I have not done the things I am suggesting that you might consider.

There are other possibilities I am sure. They would depend on getting the old flange off.

Michael Metters

Reaction score
A repair ring goes over the top. So the question is whether there is enough vertical clearance to fit the repair ring and the flange under the toilet. It is possible that you would keep the center part of the existing flange, but cut away the outer part. so that the repair ring would fit around the remaining part.

Now suppose the place where you would like to have the closet bolts is solid on the existing flange. You might not need a repair ring. You could drill new holes where you want the new bolts. Then you need a way to slide the new bolts in. For that you could cut/grind the outside of each hole to the outer diameter to allow the closet bolts to slide in. You might have to undercut the flooring in your new home-made slots to let the closet bolt head slide under.

I am not a pro, and I have not done the things I am suggesting that you might consider.

There are other possibilities I am sure. They would depend on getting the old flange off.
Thanks again...I will be at the bldg at 1pm, bringing my grinder, drill/bits & chiesel. Will take pics and keep you posted!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks