Cast Iron to PVC Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I am removing all of the old 4-inch cast iron sewer pipe in my house and replacing with PVC. Is 3-inch PVC adequate, or should I keep it at 4? I have a kitchen sink, dishwasher, clothes washer and two bathrooms. Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your 4" cast is 4-1/8" OD, then that side of the coupling would be copper sized. For that I get a copper x no-hub when I transistion to ABS or PVC.
Plastic is more like 4-3/8"

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The only cast iron that will be left when I finish this project is the vent stacks and the 4" 90° elbow where the exit point for the drainage system is located on the exterior wall. My plan is to use a donut at the 4" cast iron hub of the elbow to join my 3" PVC. This will be a vertical union. The previous owner already had the underground exterior drain lines replaced with PVC. There is a clean-out just outside the house where the main drain exits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks