Cast Iron Porcelain flat rim

Users who are viewing this thread

Patt

Reaction score
I'm looking for a cast iron white porcelain kitchen sink, two bowls, one large, one smaller, with a metal flat rim.:confused:

We have a Formica counter top. I really hate the self riming top mounts because I can't sweep the crumbs etc. from the counter into the sink. I will never understand how this feature (high self rims) caught on. Be that as it may, I've read that since the Formica counter top can't be sealed properly, a bottom mounted sink is not advised. There fore, I'm trying to find a metal flat rim sink. I've been researching the internet, but no luck. Would anyone know of a company that still sells this type? I don't want stainless steel, it scratches too easily.

Sure would appreciate some feedback.

Patt

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't usually use an undermount on formica, because there is not a finished edge on the cutout hole. The closest you can get is a rim-mount, because that puts the sink itself flush with top of counter. You can get rim mount cast iron, which is a nice sink.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I have an undermount on a laminate. ;) Take a look at http://www.karran.com/. I prompty wipe up all water on the interface seam and I've not had problems for over a year now. I used a waterproof contact cement and put down a waterproofer on the top and bottom of the substrate too.

Jason

Patt

Reaction score
Thanks, Jason for sharing your fix to the Formica problem I mentioned.

I realize the best possible way to install the Karran sink, as with most sinks, is before the counter top is installed. Unfortunately, we purchased a stainless steel sink and installed it some time ago. It was after I became more familiar with the newer stainless steel sink that I realized how easily it scratches. I've learned how to sand out the scratches, but I'm still not happy with it or the fact the lip, though short, still doesn't allow for each clean-up.

My question now is, do you know if it possible to install a Karran sink when the counter top can not be turned upside down, especially when the hole has already been cut? I will of course write the the Karran folks, but perhaps you might know too.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to educate me.

Patt

Patt

Reaction score
Thanks, jadnashua.

Today, when I was investigating a new sink possibility, I actually imagined doing it some what as it's described in the link you supplied me. Not exactly, of course, but basically this way. At least I was in the ballpark with good company. I can't believe with all the Googling I did on this topic, I never pulled up these two terrific links.

I can see my husband beginning to dig his heels in as to idea of changing the sink with anything less than an old fashioned flat rim sink, which I don't blame him, but these ideas are great to pass along, especially to people in the stores who sell sinks, and to keep for our next kitchen remodel job.

At least I know how to get the scratches out of the stainless steel, which I gleaned from other sites helping people as this site does. The answer is: 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper sold at auto parts stores, always, always, sand with the grain. A good cleaner is the liquid cleaner for bar tops. Not sure I can say the brand name in this reply...

Thanks so much for your help, and I hope these links will help other people too.

Patt

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like some excellent new products there, that I had not seen before. Finally a solution to a long-standing problem.

Matching a new sink to an existing cutout hole is a problem. I would contact those companies for advice.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If the Karran sink is bigger than the existing sink then you can kind of follow the instructions for the post formed counter top installation for your sink.

I've heard mixed things about the counter-seal method, but I've not used it myself.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks