Cast Iron pipe needs flange & new sleeve

Users who are viewing this thread

slrpro02

Reaction score
Is there some kind of Sleeve I can buy to go inside the cast iron? Cast Iron pipe & sleeve1.jpgCast Iron pipe & sleeve2.jpgCast Iron pipe & sleeve3.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears you need to have that "sleeve" leaded back in to the hub, then a new cast iron flange leaded on to that. Any competent plumber can do that, but a lot of "new plumbers" do not really know how to work with it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is poured lead. You can do another pour, of you can try to find a donut that will fit properly in your closet bend. The i.d. of the cast iron hubs can vary, so you will have to take a careful measurement and talk with a plumbing supply to see if the size you need is available.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know how far that remaining fitting is below the floor. If you have enough distance, look up Fernco P44U-305 or P44U-405. That gets you a piece of 3- or 4-inch PVC sticking up vertically. One of those could get you a vertical piece of PVC pipe that you could attach a closet flange to.

Not a plumber. May be very off base.

slrpro02

Reaction score
The inside dia. of the flange looks to be 5". Will the Fernco P44U-405 fit right??

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score

slrpro02

Reaction score
How can I get the inside of the flange clean?? The crud on there doesn't want to come off. I used a grinder with a 4" Knotted Wire Brush & it hardly touches it. Thanks for the help.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I would buy a new toilet abs stub 4 x3 x 8 .And some pc4 cold caulk then i would put the new stub in the drain pipe. take about 2 feet of the pc4 more if needed wet it and then wrap it around the lead stub inside the hub of the drain pipe then hammer the cold caulk into place with a chisel or caulking tool if you have one filling the space between the lead stub and the hub. once it is in them let it harden overnight. fix the wood floor and install the toilet.

slrpro02

Reaction score
I call Fernco told them the I.D. of the Flange was 5", then they asked what will be the O.D. of the pipe I'm installing in the Donut?? I said I will get back with you, so please help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have enough room (there has to be enough height above the existing CI hub for the flange fitting) above the hub, you'd use either PVC or ABS (whichever is more readily available where you live) to install a new flange. You could use a stub of 4" plastic pipe, which would have an OD of 4.5", or 3" pipe, which would be an OD of 3.5"...I'd probably go with the 4". IF you go 4", you could use a flange that fits inside the pipe, and you can run your repaired subflooring tight up against the pipe. If you go 3", you need your flange to fit around the outside of the pipe, and you'd have to leave a bigger hole in the floor to allow it to slide down and over the pipe to make the connection.

The wall thickness of plastic drainage pipe (well, sch 40 anyway) is nominally 1/4" thick and it's sold by the ID...so a 4" pipe would have an OD of 4.5".

So, if you just tell them you're using sch40 PVC pipe, they'll know what you need, and it should work IF your measurement of the hub opening is correct. Too tight, and you may not get it in, too loose, and it will not seal. It's one of those things where it must be 'just right'. Some liquid soap helps things go together.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks