Cast iron pipe leaking in basement wall

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by sesquialtera, Apr 17, 2009.

1. sesquialtera

sesquialtera New Member

I wondering what this will require to fix, and whether I might try a temporary patch until I settle on a solution.

Here's the situation: vertical cast iron waste pipe set in pocket in stone foundation wall; the pocket is concreted over (i.e. encases the pipe) to a height about 5' from floor. the 18" segment between the top of the concrete and the first hub is corroded in the back and leaking water. As shown the in pictures, that segment also contains two wyes that are fabricated from saddles u-bolted to the straight pipe. I first thought that a saddle seam was leaking, but it turns out they are tight and its the straight pipe that is a goner.

Could I encase the corroded areas in epoxy as a stop-gap until I can schedule proper repair? How much demolition is the repair likely to require?

Thanks,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

1 - A plumber

2 - A jack hammer

3 - money in your checking account

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Wow...
    I hope you're not in my service area planning on calling in for service tomorrow...:eek:

I hate it when they send me those kind of jobs Saturday after the supply house closes...

This job is bigger than Mighty Putty even with the triple offer!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

I will go there with bells on. I love them type of jobs, also have two garages full of random supplies that I have collected over the years. like the Upright wye with a side inlet they use in basements for piping in the laundry sinks.