Cast Iron Pipe Evaluation Help

Users who are viewing this thread

s s l

Reaction score
This is my first post to any forum ever, so I apologize in advance if I'm overlooking posting etiquette that I'm not familiar with. I have read DIY forums for years and this one is by far the best for plumbing, so I come seeking your advice.

My question is - should replace all of my original cast iron pipe as I remodel and have better access to it.

My home was built in 1957 and has the original cast iron drain pipe, in a crawl space / partial basement. The pipe is marked "SOMERVILLE AV WT42 lbs".

I've read that average cast iron pipe life is around 50 years (and can be much longer) and mine is almost 60.

I'm remodeling the first of 2 bathrooms and had to remove all the cast iron under the first bathroom because I'm moving all the fixtures. I cut it all out yesterday and it is HEAVY!!!! I thought it would break up as I cut it but it didn't, they were playing for keeps in the 50's. It was like cutting through....well, iron.

The first 4 pics are of the main 4" cast iron pipe leading away from the first bathroom. The wall thickness is slightly less at the bottom left but still seems pretty good. It's hard to evaluate the interior. I don't know if this looks bad or not.

The last picture is of the interior of 3" vent pipe up towards the roof. It's in remarkable shape and I intend on leaving it. It give a good reference point to what the original interior of this cast iron pipe looked like.

Does anyone have experience with old cast iron and any advice on if I should leave the rest in place as I remodel or go ahead and replace it all as I go since it's so old and I'll have better access while I'm remodeling?

I can provide more details and pics if someone knows their stuff and can help answer this or at least speak from experience.

~Stephen

DSCN3078.JPG
DSCN3064.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3070.JPG
    DSCN3070.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN3049.JPG
    DSCN3049.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN3026.JPG
    DSCN3026.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 319

Reach4

Reaction score
Your pipe in the pictures looks like it would be good for another hundred years or so. Cast iron is quieter, and is still put in today as a premium product where people want the drain pipe noises minimized.

If you cut out any pipe below cast iron, make sure you have the weight above well-supported first.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks pretty good really.
That reminds me, my mothers home has cast iron that is 64 years old now. I have the worst problems on pipes from the kitchens. Whatever people dump down them must be much harder on the pipes. That and sinks in bars.

s s l

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience. I don't want to replace good cast iron if I don't need to.
Once I cut into it I thought it looked pretty good but also thought maybe I was being too optimistic about its condition.

Reach4, I made sure to provide extra support to the vent stack before I cut the bottom half out and I added the 3/8" threaded rod hanger to the drain pipe before I cut it. I've never worked with cast iron so I wore tons of safety equipment and took it nice and slow as I was cutting with a 4.5" diameter cut off wheel.

Are the lead and oakem joints prone to failure? Anything else I should be on the lookout for as I inspect remaining the cast iron pipe during the renovation?

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks