Cast Iron / Lead Flange Condo - Repair / Replace

Users who are viewing this thread

TrainEr

Reaction score
Hi:

I am in the proecss of replacing my mother's tiolet in her condo which is approx 30 years old.
I removed the old tiolet and I am now in the process on removing / repairing the tiolet flange.
I started to break apart the flange but I noticed that it is connected to the pipe.
Attached is a pic of the mess I have started - I am not sure what to do next. Can I just use a repair flange kit and fix the areas I have broken off or install a new one. (first pic)

OR

The 2nd pic- Is this something I should do - break the flange off some more and then I can insert a twist and set flange.
condo-flange.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
As I understand it, the top picture is your picture and the middle one is somebody else's picture, right?

I would examine the part of the flange closest to the bottom of the first picture. Then I would be thinking of putting a metal repair ring over that to hold the closet bolts and to use the wax ring to seal.

I think you should not use the item in the bottom picture. One reason is that it has a plastic ring, and there are equivalents that have a stainless steel ring. The other thing is that you would have to measure and inspect the ID of the lead to see if what you use would work. On the other hand, if there is enough of the existing closet flange to work with the wax to seal the gas, that would be a reliable repair.

TrainEr

Reaction score
Hi Reach4 - thanks for replying.

Yes you are right - 1st pic is my issue and 2nd pic is someone else's.

I was at Home Depot earlier and a clerk told me I had three options:
1 - Put a brand new brass flange over top of my existing situation (do not remove anymore of it / break it even more - just leave it and install new one over top) - I am thinkg it will be too high / uneven (pic #1)
2 - Purchase 1-2 repair kits and just fix that bottom section that I broke off (pic #2)
3 - Break the flange to match the 2nd pic and insert the twist and set

So are you thinking it would be best to use for me to use a ring - is this the same as the brass flange - pic #1 ?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• brass-flange.jpg
    brass-flange.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 583
  • repair-flange.jpg
    repair-flange.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 843

TrainEr

Reaction score
HI Reach4 - thanks again for all your help.

I picked up a repair ring indentical to the one in the above posted link - the thin red one.

I've included a pic of a different view of my damage caused with a brass flange (not the repair I am going with - but only pic I have to display this concern) Since the red repair ring I have purchased is the same size is this gap going to be an issue? Should I just leave it or possibly fill the gap with concrete? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

flange-2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks kinda bad to me as it sits. I would try vacuuming out that debris that is at about the 10 o'clock position with a crevice tool hooked to a strong vacuum cleaner. A dental pick or similar might help to. I would then try to gently work that lead over toward the area occupied by the debris. I would be looking to give the wax some surface to seal against.

To work the lead, I might use a baseball bat as a tool to press from inside to out. Don't use more force than needed of course.

What I would do is not necessarily right.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

TrainEr

Reaction score
Alright, I made some modifications... cleaned up the area and did some concrete patch work . Not sure if this helps or not.
Found this product at HD - not sure if this will be a good fit for my issue - installs a little differently with the wax seal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-HydroSeat-Toilet-Flange-Repair-10672X/204403879

flange-box.jpg

side-view.jpg
patch.jpg

Another part from the new tiolet (grey plastice piece)

I am close to calling a pro at this point, however, after all the trips to my mother's condo, Home Depot, Plumbing Supply Store, and visits /posts on forums - I am really interested in resolving the issue. I guess, I could always watch the pro work his magic. But, there is something about getting the job done yourself.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20150726_144537.jpg
    20150726_144537.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 498
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks