Cast Iron Kohler "Bellweather" install

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Customer purchased a cast iron Kohler tub. The bright spot of the day was the fact that I had help bringing this monster in and setting it in the bathroom. It was sort of like putting a '64 Cadillac Brougham in a shoebox. but they pulled it off.

I've never spent eight hours installing a tub before, so it was a unique experience for me. The old tub had the w/o above the floor, the new tub w/o was below the floor. The hole in the subfloor for the drain was maybe 8x10" and had three joists running across it, three inches apart. I'll stop there in the interest of brevity.

Here's the problem that brought the job even closer to the gates of hell: the tub has a slope on the drain end that precludes being able to use a normal waste and overflow. In other words. installed, the glue-up JB lift and turn w/o was way far from being plumb enough to connect to the tee from the drain. I ended up going shopping to get a couple of 22.5 els in 1.5in. I rotated them around until I could them vertical, then glued everything up while the muscle stood around waiting.

It being a Kohler, I can only assume that there is a proprietary waste and overflow for this tub.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yep, there is an adapter for the overflow, or else you buy their waste and overflow, which is pricey.
It also needs a longer than average tub spout or the water will be running onto the overflow in the tub.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, there is an adapter for the overflow, or else you buy their waste and overflow, which is pricey.
It also needs a longer than average tub spout or the water will be running onto the overflow in the tub.
Yeah, I was wondering if the water from the tub spout was going to make it to the tub without looking like Victoria Falls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks